Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Portraits (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/3530-portraits.html)

Lexie Palmore 04-19-2010 12:46 PM

Portraits

3 Attachment(s)
I have finally started unearthing artwork and getting it digitized. These are some portraits I did many moons ago. Just wanted to see how these things would look in the .org format.

Judy Patsch 04-19-2010 01:02 PM

Portraits

They look just fine - especially the one of Doc. One thing that always puzzled me though - he was pictured like that in the Louisville paper on the '82 race. I'm wondering where he got the real china cup? We didn't use those until the 90s for dinner. Maybe there were some on special for that trip? Looks a little fancy for pilothouse coffee...

Matthew Dow 04-19-2010 03:16 PM

Lexie, great prints you got here! I especially like the one of the Belle's Wilde calliope, and then of course the one of Doc with that stacks in the background. Very well done!

David Tschiggfrie 04-19-2010 03:40 PM

So . . . Lexie! Is the possibility of a collection of your river portraits something that might happen in the future? And what about your fantastic group portrait pictured on the DQ of those notables who have graced her decks? Where is that masterpiece . . . and will it ever be available as a print? You've certainly got our attention, and perhaps several of us are even salivating over the possibilities . . . Any plans lurking around in the back of your mind for future publication? Hint. Hint.

Lexie Palmore 04-19-2010 04:04 PM

I didn't do that many portraits, about 6 or so, but I guess the printing out of them as requested is possible. Except for the one of Doc, they were mostly done from pictures I took, or that someone I know took, or memory. I know Bob Reynolds has one of the group sketches. I will have to go through my photo files and a good bit of that is stored away. Those group portraits are scary. There are always those that are just darn hard to get right.

Lexie Palmore 04-19-2010 04:15 PM

Maybe he had a private stash. Coffee just seems a lot better in china than in "direform". I didn't drink much coffee back then and found out later that the reason why was because that was awful stuff that was made in the pilot house. Yuck! And we never had china cups. So, I would usually drink Diet Coke, which holds records for how fast it can go through you. Nowadays I would have a veritable Starbucks set up in the PH.

Ted Davisson 04-19-2010 05:12 PM

Great Work !

Greetings From New Orleans !
Great work Lexie ! You should be very proud of them and they are certainly not only worthy of this web site but of some steamboat museum as well ! Looking forward to seeing the rest of them !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=Lexie Palmore;21171]Maybe he had a private stash. Coffee just seems a lot better in china than in "direform". I didn't drink much coffee back then and found out later that the reason why was because that was awful stuff that was made in the pilot house. Yuck! And we never had china cups. So, I would usually drink Diet Coke, which holds records for how fast it can go through you. Nowadays I would have a veritable Starbucks set up in the PH.[/QUOTE]

Frank X. Prudent 04-19-2010 06:23 PM

I wish that I could post a photo of it, but my favorite portrait by Lexie is a pastel of one of the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE's crusty ol' engineers out on the BELLE's starboard engineroom guard. Lexie used a photo that she took from the CLARE E. BEATTY during the DQ/BoL race during the first Tall Stacks. Not only is the engineer in exquisite detail, but so is the BELLE's wheel with stirrups, gibs, keys, arms, flanges, pitman, crank, buckets etc. all there.

mel hartsough 04-20-2010 09:02 AM

Hey Lex is that second one of Capt. Carl Shelton? and yeah I dont remember you drinking much coffee back then or any for that matter. And they look really good by the way.

Lexie Palmore 04-20-2010 10:47 AM

Yes, at the sticks of the MQ.