forgot password?

First Cuts into CBelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Richardson View Post
Hey Mat,

Thanks for the pictures of the progress on the hull work on the CB. Wanted to ask what thickness the steel is on the bow. We've had pretty good luck cutting 3/16 to 1/4 thick plate off our old towboat using a metal cutting circular saw with carbide blade tips made by Milwaukee. While the blades aren't cheap it does a nice job cutting straight lines, making the welding of new plate easier. I've also been using a heavy duty saw-z-all and blades to do some plate removal in tight spots. Just thought I'd give you some other options besides the torch set. The circular saw does throw sparks and requires the same wardrobe as if using a torch. Please keep us all posted on the progress and a likely start date for cruises this season.

Aaron Richardson
Aaron,

The bow plate is all 1/4, I tried using a saw-z-all and it wasn't going anywheres fast and the blades lasted for about a foot of cutting, maybe a little more if I stopped every inch to add more oil (same result with a cutting wheel on a grinder), not to mention I couldn't feel my arm for the rest of the day. I will check into the carbide blade for the circular saw, I was going to borrow my friends plasma cutter but decided to just start with the tolls I had, will keep you posted!