US towboats sold to South America
This is mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to explore this concept more. The discussion was about several ACL towboats being sold to South American companies. I've seen American towboats and barges loaded on submersible ships in New Orleans, and the WJ has had pictures of this from time to time. So, here are some questions:
1) to where and on what rivers do they head?
2) what commodities do they move?
3) what type/age of boat and barge are they replacing, or is this a new industry?
4) do we sell towboats to any other continents?
5) Are there trained personnel there, or do we send personnel along with the boats to at least familiarize the new owner/operators?