Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

'GENERAL JACKSON' Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM

What a shame the GJ has lost her "friendly spirit" with the passing of such magnanimous souls as John Hartford and Capt. Edgar Allen Poe. Made a trip on her in '87, and mentioned to one of her pilots, who was actually out talking to passengers, (I believe it was a Capt.Bill or Bob Howell,) that I had watched them building her; he asked if I was from Louisville. I answered that I wasn't, but was "down there a good bit to ride the BELLE", whereupon he replied "The BELLE of LOUISVILLE? Why don't you just come with me up to the pilothouse." Spent the rest of the trip up there, swapping some stories, but mostly just drinking in some great tales shared by Capt "Wamp" and my friendly host. Sometime later, I related this story to a BofL crewmember. "Gee," he speculated. "I wonder what would have happened if I said I was crew on the BELLE?" "They'd have probably put you to work!" I said. MOR had a couple really great all day cruises to Hickory Lake and back, in the days when the boat was still "river friendly".
Thank goodness "river friendliness" still lives aboard the BELLE of LOUISVILLE, NATCHEZ, CHAUTAUQUA BELLE, SPIRIT of PEORIA, the BB Riverboats, etc.etc. I guess MOR won't be visiting Nashville very soon