Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Language and regional dialect (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/3366-language-regional-dialect.html)

Alan Bates 12-19-2009 04:58 AM

Language and regional dialect

How many of us have picked up the phone to hear, "Ay'll bayut yew don't know hew this ee-is."
Those who have not are missing conversations with one of the most delightful steamboaters in the land. I refer to Captain Charles H. Stone (his family name is pronounced "Stay-own" in his pure West Virginia-ese). In addition to an interesting accent, he always has something interesting to say.

We should listen more to characters of his kind. We'd learn a lot.

mel hartsough 12-19-2009 07:31 AM

Kinda like the Cajuns Alan "Poosh you spaw lat on thet lil rad boy capn, izz rat up thar offn tham lil dykes thar". And I'm not making fun its just the accent and dialect. I had a friend that lived in Morganza La. up around New Roads that was pure Cajun and his name, first and last, was Richard David, pronounced Reeshard Dahveed.

Frank X. Prudent 12-19-2009 12:29 PM

One oft remembered Pure Oil and DQ employee here is quite famous for saying, "Ize livin' with three, no foura killahs; diabeeteez, loukeemia, high blood preshah, an de bow thrustah's out!"

mel hartsough 12-19-2009 04:20 PM

Good one Frank, I can see him leaning back in that chair and saying that. Capt. C.S. Rip Ware. "I dont care if ya'll git mad cuz I'm jest tryin to hep ya'll"

Judy Patsch 12-20-2009 06:59 PM

Good tidings from the steamboat mail

Yesterday a welcome item arrived via mail packet...(no, it wasn't the fall Reflector issue, which isn't at the printers yet)... it was my copy of Capt. Charlie's [I]River Lexicon[/I]. Coincidentally this definitive tome of river terms arrived at the same time this discussion of different dialects was ongoing on .org. The lexicon is going to go right up there with the packet and towboat directories, the steamboat cyclopedium and the engine room cyclopedium as essential and oft-perused references. Facts enriched with Capt. Charlie's observations make this a treasured tome.

Keith Norrington 12-21-2009 07:45 AM

And, appropriate for this season of peace on earth goodwill to all is Capt. Ware's oft repeated admonition to [B]"LOVE EVAHBODY!"[/B] This was usually followed by, "Now hand me a bananah!"

mel hartsough 12-21-2009 08:02 AM

Great one Keith! Its just like yesterday. Anybody want to share christmas memories on the Steamboats? I think my first christmas on the MQ was 1977 and the one person that I remember that was there too was Sharon Shrake, Mrs. Robert Reynolds now, and a christmas party that Dave Rainbolt threw in the crew mess.

mel hartsough 12-21-2009 08:03 AM

My appologies as Christmas on the Steamboats should be a new thread.

Jazzou Jones 12-22-2009 08:56 AM

I remember one time between sets in the Paddlewheel Lounge going over to say hello to a lady sitting by herself. "Hello, Ma'am, I'm Jazzou Jones." "Why, how do you do Mr. Jones, my name is Mrs. Wire." "Nice to meet you Mrs. Wire. I hope you're enjoying your trip. Are you traveling by yourself?" "No, I'm with my husband, Captain Wire. He's piloting the boat right now."

Judy Patsch 12-22-2009 10:16 AM

Where y'at?

When I first started working in the NATCHEZ dining room, I was greeted with a Where y'at? I looked around and said, In the dining room, which of course was greeted with guffaws. Jazzou, did anyone ever accuse you of having a 'northern accent'? I heard that one on the NATCHEZ too.