not logged in.
           forgot password?

Monroe County River Museum, Clarington Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Monroe County River Museum, Clarington Ohio

Hello Fellow Steamboat Enthusiasts!

My Name is Taylor Abbott and I post on here today with exciting news out of Clarington, Ohio. Currently, a group of people with a passion for preserving our river heritage are toiling away on a project that has been in the making well over a decade. Exploratory meetings were formed at the beginning of the year and after much discussion and feedback, our museum has now become a reality that is projected to open it's doors in June 2010.

We have acquired a building by what many call "luck." While looking for a facility to house our museum and its contents, we were asked to attend a board of trustees meeting at the Ohio Valley Community Credit Union. During the meeting, the board offered us their former bank headquarters building. With newly installed security, total revitalization, and more, we were offered their former branch office for $1 per year with all utilities covered. In the lease, we have control over the interior of the property to do whatever we see fit to make it a quality facility. But as I said earlier, the building is totaly renovated with minor lighting upgrades needed. The two story office complex is a wonderful location to house our objects. Situated in downtown Clarington with an emphasis to be put on the riverfront that is seen from the building, the location could not be better! We are very grateful and humble for the Ohio Valley Community Credit Union's generosity.

Our officers have been elected to serve out a one year term. President of Museum and Director-Taylor Abbott. Curator and Finance Committee Chair, Barbara Rush. Historian, Fredrick McCabe. We have been leading this group of extremely talented and devoted people who are set on bringing this museum to our area. Clarington was a vital and notable boat building town. Our town and county has not forgotten this.

Finalization of documents and affairs are completed and our occupancy is set for November 1st. We will begin minor cosmetic changes and lighting upgrading to accomadate specialty displays. A chair lift is also in the works at the present time and hope to have it installed sometime this winter. We are looking for quotes on display cases and if you have any suggestions please contact us with them. We welcome anyone wishing to donate or loan any items for display to contact us. Our main entry will feature all things "steamboat" and welcome any items detailing that idea!

Finance Committee members have been researching and have found some private donors as well as corporate donors wanting to grant money. We are very optimistic about our project and look forward to its opening. Again we welcome ANYONE who would love to help with this project. It is not just a project that highlights Monroe County, OH river life, we want to preserve the steamboat age altogether. We cannot stress that enough and hope to attract river enthusiasts to our area.

Contacts Us If You Have Any Questions:

mcrivermuseum@yahoo.com

Facebook users: type Monroe County River Museum in the search bar. Join Us for museum updates, news, and meeting details!

Taylor Abbott............1-740-391-6304
Barbara Rush.............1-740-458-1873
Fred McCabe.............1-740-483-2490

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to Thank each of you for preserving this heritage we all share. As a young man not quite twenty-one yet, I am very fortunate to have been exposed to this heritage by my great-grandfather. Too many people my age look past the past. I choose not to. This project has a special place in my heart and I welcome you all to help in anyway you can to make sure it becomes a reality. Be a part of this wonderful project!

Thank You Again!

Taylor Abbott, President
Monroe County River Museum