not logged in.
           forgot password?   Connect with Facebook

Another Steamboat Bell ??

advertisement
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Another Steamboat Bell ??

Greetings From New Orleans & Houmas House !
Over the past thirty five years I have been traveling over both the Lower Mississippi River and the adjacent river road that accompanies the river and over that same time frame one of my most favorite stops is the Houmas House Plantation . Without a doubt it is the most scenic and splendid antibellum plantation home on the Loser Mississippi River and if you ever have an opportunity to visit this area you really should make the time and take the effort to visit this beautiful home . Having said that one of the lesser known points of interest at the Houmas House Plantation is an old bell that sits almost un seen on the spacious grounds of the home . Upon close inspection of this bell I discovered some rather interesting inscriptions on the bell that just possibly some one could lend some futher light on . Near the top of the bell are the words , Buckeye Bell Foundry Cincinnatti , Ohio 1849 . So in my mind the question comes up for what purpose was this particular bell made and when and how did it arrive on the grounds of the Houmas House Plantation ? Is there a way to determine its original purpose , such as was it made for a church or a town hall tower or if it was created for a river steamer . For that matter if it was created for a river steamer shouldn't the name of the river steamer be also inscripted on the bell as well ?? Food for thought !!
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Houmas House 102.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	4500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Houmas House 107.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	4501   Click image for larger version