Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   SPIRIT OF PEORIA trip report and pix (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/3175-spirit-peoria-trip-report-pix.html)

Steve Huffman 08-31-2009 10:10 AM

In terms of paddlewheel control from the pilothouse, Diesel-Electric is my favorite form of powertrain. The SPIRIT is a fine example of how well diesel-electrics work.

Prior to the BARBARA H I worked a total of 10 years aboard a diesel-electric sternwheel excursion boat, as deckhand, 1st Mate and finally Captain. When setup properly, you can control the paddlewheel, at will, without worrying too much about damaging the powertrain. This can save a lot of "bad landings", whereas with the BARBARA H, or a steamboat, a lot of things need to happen to change paddlewheel direction.

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:21 PM

Continuation of Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
My service went down here at school, not letting me get to my SOP pictures. here are some of the better ones

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures from the first day on the Illinois River from Peoria to Meredosia.

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More. I can't really put everything up, but I'll try and find the best ones. The third picture is Orlando (call him O!) trying to get out an Asian Carp out of the safety boat.

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Our second locking through. The black lab was the Lockmaster's dog. He tok a liking to the 129 people whistling at us from the decks above him

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Since I don't have forever, I'm not going to put every picture I have up here because it would take forever. Right now, here are some pictures from the top of the St. Louis Arch

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This set of pictures is dedicated to the Crew of the Spirit of Peoria. They were amazing and I'm glad to have gotten the pleasure to meet them.

1. The Galley Crew
2. The Deck Crew landing the boat at St. Louis
3. The World Famous Bev Wolf, Mistress of the piano and calliope on the Spirit of Peoria

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This set is dedicated to the people of the Rambling River Rats, another group of people I was most fortuned to meet.

Matthew Dow 08-31-2009 10:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Last is a couple random pictures that need to be included. Thanks again to everyone that made this trip the best last adventure of the summer for me. It was a pleasure to meet everyone, and you can definitely count me in for next year. I have so many more pictures, but I don't want to pack this post with them all :)

1. Captain Harold, master electrician and the man who takes care of the calliaphone on the boat
2. The infamous Judy Patsch and I. Thanks again for taking me in, showing me around, and introducing me to "Overnight Riverboating"
3. The Spirit of Peoria at the St. Louis levee