Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

How Low Can It Go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM

Default How Low Can It Go?

Well I have read all the back posts about paddlewheels, there construction and what not, but I thought I would throw a topic out there for some more information!

The Chautauqua Belle as most of you are familiar with is a smaller steamboat, so we have to play with our trim alot to keep our Paddlewheel what I imagine is the right trim. However when we begin to get down to about 1,000 gallons of fuel and more then 200 gallons in the holding tank it's game over and the paddlewheel is down deep.

What I was told from previous Captains is they always tried to keep the inside of the buckets level with the waterline. This year with our crowds increasing, which called for more hospitality supplies, seating, not to mention everyone loves to sit in the rear of the upper deck to be able to see the paddlewheel, the water has came up one time about 12 inches above the inside edge of the bucket, during normal conditions this year the waterline is about 4 or 5 inches from the inside bucket edge.

How much do you think this affects speed and efficiency? We are wondering if we should contact a naval architect to see about correcting the issue if it truly makes an impact on the performance of the vessel. We can easily see changes in speed, and the engines are obviously more stressed, but I imagined that would be the same case since we have 100 passengers onboard.