Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Str. Natchez goes to California! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2899-str-natchez-goes-california.html)

Phillip Johnson 03-17-2009 11:01 PM

Str. Natchez goes to California!

3 Attachment(s)
Well, not really, but I was out in Los Angeles area for work this past week and had some extra time so I took a trip down to Legoland. Much to my surprise in their "Miniland USA" section there was a little bit of NOLA and a huge model of the Natchez (although they named it the "Season" for some reason) made entirely of Lego building blocks! I bet it was 7 or 8 ft long!!! In the same area were buildings and scene from NOLA and also the Creole Queen and Cajun Queen. Here's some pictures I thought you all might find entertaining!

Phillip Johnson 03-17-2009 11:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a couple more photos...some closer up..amazing the accuracy and detail using all basic Lego pieces!

Phillip Johnson 03-17-2009 11:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and lastly a couple of the Creole Queen model, which I don't understand why they renamed the Natchez but not the Creole Queen, anyhow, the Cajun Queen can also be seen some in the background. Then the other shot shows a Mardi Gras parade int he French Quarter.

Franz Neumeier 03-18-2009 03:16 AM

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures, Phillip. We have a Legoland about an hour drive away from Munich, too, but of course they don't have a little NOLA there. I'll ask them to add one ;-)

Alan Bates 03-18-2009 07:41 AM

Ah, but Europe has a very fine model of the Natchez at the Retten das Kind Museum in Klagenfurt, Austria. It is made of brass and is at the scale of 1:25. The rest of the museum is pretty good, too.

Matthew Dow 03-18-2009 07:43 AM

Awesome pictures. I've seen pictures of this before, but never as up close as this. And you are correct about the accuracy. Whoever did this did a great job. Thanks again for these pictures!

Judy Patsch 03-18-2009 08:06 AM

Only thing I can think of about the name change is that if this was supposed to be a New Orleans scene, the name NATCHEZ might confuse people re: the Mississippi city. Of course over the years people had to change DQ for fear of being sued, but I don't think N.O. STeamboat has ever had a problem with the boat name being used. Seems like good advertisement to me. But SEASON - what in the heck is that for a name?

Keith Norrington 03-18-2009 08:58 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos Phillip. What wonderful models! Besides that great presentation of the Str. NATCHEZ, I see the New Orleans ferry, towboats, the Pontalba building and even SAN FRANCISCO Plantation. WOW! Wish we had that, or something similar, in the backyard of the Howard Steamboat Museum! John Fryant could bring down some of his fine radio controlled models and we could have quite a "Small Stacks" extravaganza!