Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   S & D Membership (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2886-s-d-membership.html)

Mike Washenko 03-10-2009 04:32 PM

S & D Membership

I'm trying to get something straightened out about joining S&D. Does anyone have a phone number or email address for Richard Prater?

Bob Reynolds 03-10-2009 05:12 PM

Mike, welcome to steamboats.org. Richard Prater is no longer S&D Secretary, but his email address is [email]rhprater@cox.net[/email].

Rick Kesterman is the new Secreatary. His address: 3118 Pershing Ct., Cincinnati, OH 45211. Telephone (513) 662-8627.

We would love to have you as a member of S&D!

Mike Washenko 03-11-2009 10:14 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll contact them both to try and find out what happened to the check I mailed back in January.

David Dewey 03-12-2009 01:34 AM

The check is in the mail??
Might still be there!!! :)
S'
David D.

Judy Patsch 03-12-2009 09:24 AM

also lost in the mail

...along with the Winter 2008(formerly December) REFLECTOR. Hopefully those of us waiting to renew our dues until after we receive the 4th issue of year 2008 will not be cut off the mailing list and not receive it, when it eventually is printed and mailed sometime in 2009. No need to recite and repeat the various reasons why the REFLECTOR has been off schedule for some time, we've heard them many times, and have heard various versions.
In the words of that famous character whose name I don't know: JUST GIT 'ER DONE!

There, I've said publicly what many of us have been expressing for months in emails to each other and to S&D officers. Sorry if it offends, but facts need to be faced. The REFLECTOR is the lifeblood of S&D and is the only reason probably 80-90% of the memberships, ie. the financial resources of the group, exist. Changing the dates from specific months to a general season allowed for 'wiggle room', but we are now into another YEAR, not season. Many of us have submitted articles and pictures, and have offered to help out over this time. If there is more we can do, now is the time to ask us. The S&D VP is experienced in journalistic matters, perhaps he could assist in the editorship position. Whatever it takes...

Bill Judd 03-12-2009 10:06 AM

Sit back, relax, play some golf. The Winter Reflector is in the mail. Now how long to delivery to your mailbox is anybodys guess. The mailboat has gone the way of the overnight passenger vessels. Now all we have are hi-speed expressways, jet planes and extremely slow delivery. I've given up on fighting the U.S. Postal Service.

Matthew Dow 03-12-2009 11:24 AM

Judy, that quote's from Larry the Cable Guy. Just thought you'd like to know :)

Judy Patsch 03-12-2009 12:20 PM

Git 'er done!

Thanks for enlightening me on current pop culture! Cable guy, eh? I'm still back there with the rabbit ears generation! Now please don't make me feel older and ask what are rabbit ears...

inactive user 02 03-12-2009 03:27 PM

Judy,

You have echoed my concerns as well. Thank you for finally saying it!

Thru rumor, comment on this board, and second-hand rumor I understand the major positions of President and Secretary have changed. Had the Reflector come and reported this information I would feel I was at least knowledgeable of what is happening within the organization I support thru membership. I wouldn't have been as shocked as I was when I got a bill from Rick Kesterman, Secretary...when I expected it to be Richard Prater. I started calling, talking, and emailing and found out the rumors are true.

Perhaps I would have paid by now and not had so many questions when I got my second notice of dues if I had the Reflector to know what was up?

The current Reflector issues have been wonderful. I am really glad to see the membership to assist in the creation of such a wonderful historical periodical. Capt. Frederick Way Jr would be proud of the last couple of years of his labour of love, the S&D Reflector. The Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen has been one of the most esteemed river organizations to become member of for many years since its begining. I have been proud to announce my membership in S&D and promoted the group in my lectures on every cruise of the DELTA QUEEN, MISSISSIPPI QUEEN, and AMERICAN QUEEN I have worked. Richard Prater supplied me with brochures to pass on to the passengers to review and send in from home after their cruise. I have always stood behind S&D and will continue to do so...but, something has to be done about the Reflector!

I am also very concerned no one seems to have stepped up to assist in the creation of the Reflector to get it back on a more timely basis. With no information as to what the organization is doing, I am stymied as to why I should pay dues.

Perhaps the cost of the [U]two[/U] bills for 2009 I have recieved could have been better spent in getting the word out to the members in the form of a news letter or perhaps even the Reflector?

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone with my viewpoint. My intention is to publically put my support behind getting S&D back on track. We may have already lost the DELTA QUEEN...lets not lose AMERICA's Steamboat Historical Society! Lets help get S&D back on track! We have proven we can get things done on this board. Just the conversations we have had concerning the DELTA QUEEN have gone along way to help her cause. Lets help keep [U]OUR[/U] River organization together, healthy and sound...we CAN do it!

Travis

John Fryant 03-12-2009 04:37 PM

Judy, The S & D VP has offered several times to several people to help with the Reflector - to no avail.