Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   A DQ "Veteran" Heard From! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2873-dq-veteran-heard.html)

Keith Norrington 02-25-2009 07:27 AM

A DQ "Veteran" Heard From!

Last evening I had a surprise phone call from Louise Feilhauer who, along with her late husband, Pete (who worked in the engine room) was part of the DQ crew in the late 1970's. A longtime resident of Cincinnati and now a lively octogenarian, Louise spends most of the year in South Carolina. We had a delightful chat of our many "river recollections" and Louise (who is not online) asked me to convey her regards to those who might remember her and Pete from "our era" on the DQ.

Many of us "youngsters" looked to Pete and Louise as beloved mentors during our time on the DQ. A long and two shorts of the whistle to them!

Judy Patsch 02-25-2009 12:48 PM

Louise

3 Attachment(s)
I was doubly lucky - not only did I ride during Louise's 'reign', but I also almost always resided in her bailiwick: Sundeck Starboard. In fact, I'd request that deck solely for that reason. Not only was Louise the Mother to the crew, but to some of her younger passengers. One nameless one she deemed to be eating too much candy, so Louise would check the wastebasket to see how many M&M wrappers were in there each day. Since I usually booked back to backs, I was onboard during turnover day so I often helped Louise get the rooms ready - I found out how they saved time by putting the new soaps and trashcan liner under the last day's liner, for instance. One year we were in Prairie du Chien on Aug. 4, Capt. Wagner's birthday. Louise gave me money to buy some limburger cheese, his favorite, for his birthday party that night, as she couldn't get into town during the shore stop (back then we only stayed half a day at the most and cruised in daylight). If you know PduC, you know its over a mile into town, and this was a hot August day. Louise could smell me coming up the stairs with that horrible cheese! I think I suggested that was a once in a lifetime errand.
1) Louise at her cart on turnover day in Cincinnati
2) Louise is putting up her famous Wonder Woman cutout in her storage closet.
3) Pete and Louise lounging on their 'veranda'.
Incidentally, for a year or so, Louise's compatriot on the Sundeck Port was none other than Lexie...
If this posting gets mailed to Louise, no more M&Ms, I've switched to ice cream.

Shipyard Sam 02-25-2009 03:40 PM

Say [I]Hello [/I]for me, too, but using my real name. Louise and Pete were great to work with, and I can still hear her voice. She was a sweetheart to us all. Pete was fine mechanic who had the respect and admiration of all who worked with him. He would have made a heck of a Chief Engineer.

Lexie Palmore 02-26-2009 05:17 PM

What a veranda! And to this day I can put on a pillowcase in less time than it takes to say "pillowcase". Whenever I stay at a motel, I can usually find the maid's cart, and deal with finicky locks, although I really hate those insert card locks. It's good to know that she is still around. She and Pete were a pair, and he could fix anything.

Jim Blum 03-03-2009 09:21 PM

Pete Louise and their sons operated a Machine Shop in Delhi, adjacent to River Road, not too far from Harry Louden's house. Pete purchased a Stainless steel "lightweight" coach--I believe Budd built--from Amtrak and had it by the Machine Shop. The car was visible from River Road. [In the glory days of the New York Central and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroads that stretch of River Road was a 4 track racetrack.]

Other projects had a higher priority at the time and when an offer from a Canadian Company came along the car was sold for use "Up North" before the opportunity presented itself to become home to Pete and Louise.

Pete could do anything with metal and tools. Always ready to tackle any project on the boat and always with a great sense of humor to boot. Several fire plug caps were 'modified" in that shop for use by the DQ.

When Pete made his final crossing his funeral was at St. William Church, Price Hill, Cincinnati, Ohio his remains cremated and according to his wishes spread over the Ohio River that he loved so deeply.

I am glad to hear that Louise is doing well in North Carolina. The Pete and Louise era on the DQ was a fine time to be involved in Das Boot! They both did yeomen service to the boat and deserve high praise for their efforts.