Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Str. Lunga Point FINALLY Salvaged ! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2864-str-lunga-point-finally-salvaged.html)

Ted Davisson 02-19-2009 03:35 PM

Str. Lunga Point FINALLY Salvaged !

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings From New Orleans ,
Well , FINALLY , the Str. Lunga Point is geting raised and salvaged from her leve side resting place since Hurrican Ike blew through this last September 11th. . Hurricane Ike made landfall as a Level 3 hurriccane and the damage she inflicted is still very much present in south Louisiana . In my opinion , just one of the many tradegies that she brought to the river region of Louisiana was the partial sinking of the old Str. Lunga Point . Fortunately , and I guess better latter than never , her present owners , the Plaquemine Point Shipyard ( formerly known as the Banta Fleet ) is now in the process of raising and salvaging this old steam tow boat and I can only assume that she will go back into service at the shipyard to clean tank barges with the steam from her vintage boilers . Time will tell ! Also , in the first picture , and in the foreground is one of the model bow , harbor tugs that we use to maneuver the ships in and out of the docks and anchorages with .
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

Steven Harrod 02-19-2009 09:39 PM

Can you provide links to more information about this steamer?

Ted Davisson 02-20-2009 10:53 AM

Str. Lunga Point - Links

3 Attachment(s)
Stephen ,
Thanks for your interest in the Str. Lunga Point and no I don't have any direct links to this boat but like many other things you may have some luck by " Google-ing " the Lunga Point and in all likelyhood if there are any links on her Google will bring it to your attention . Good luck with your search and for that matter I have quite a few other pictures of the Lunga point that I would be happy to share with you or for that matter any one else .
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=Steven Harrod;15822]Can you provide links to more information about this steamer?[/QUOTE]

Judy Patsch 02-20-2009 01:11 PM

According to Way's Towboat Directory

[QUOTE=Steven Harrod;15822]Can you provide links to more information about this steamer?[/QUOTE]
Here's the info from Way's Towboat Directory p. 151 :
T1661 LUNGA POINT
prop tb sh 1944-1966. built Ironton, Oh by Mt. Vernon Bridge Co. A DPC 180x52x11. Two four cylinder triple expansion engines, 16s 26s 32s 32s 2 ft. stroke rated 2000 hp at 185 rpm. twin four-bladed props, 9 ft. diameter with 6ft.7in pitch Steam provided by Foster-Wheeler A type generator, 275 psi at 100 degree superheat Bunker C
Leased by Inland Waterways Corp during WWII. Chartered to Butcher-Arthur Co.. of Houston during WWII. sold May 1947 to Ore Steamship Co, a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel for Orinoco River service, but never went there. Reboilered to receive two B&W steam generators and got two smokestacks. Laid up at Beaumont Tx for a great while. Sold in Feb 1954 to Ohio Barge lIne. Decommissioned when the Steel Express came into service in 1966. Sold in 1968 to a Pittsburgh dentist who planned to make a restaurant of her, but didn't. Sold to Port Allen LA Marine Service who put offices and shops aboard and utilized her boilers for barge cleaning.

David Dewey 02-20-2009 03:40 PM

So are those engines still aboard?? TWO, triples! With 4 cylinders, two low pressure (actually, by the time you get to the third expansion, likely you are below atmospheric or nearly so)? Anyone out there know, or better yet, pics??
S'
David D.

Alan Bates 02-23-2009 09:00 AM

In the late 1860's I salvaged a set of drawings of the DPC steamers from a dumpster at Jeffboat. I made drawings from them for modelers. See model building if you want a set. I think the drawings from which I worked are in the Inland Library Collection. There is a special sheet for Lunga Point, the only one to have two stacks.

Ted Davisson 02-24-2009 03:49 PM

More Str. Lunga Point Pictures !

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings From Plaquemine , La. ,
Today I am south bound on an in-ballast tanker out of Exxon , Baton Rouge and when making my steer around Plaquemine Point , river mile 209 LMR , I could not help but notice that the salvage operation on the Str. Lunga Point has now intensified with the addition of a second derrick barge . I would just have to imagine that barring any unexpected problems or issues , they should have the Lunga Point afloat in the next few days . I am not sure if they're working 24/7 with the salvage operation but needless to say , I am pleased to see them making progress . I also hope that come next hurricane season , this whole river region of southeast Louisiana will be spared from another season of Mother Nature's wrath ! Time will tell !
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=Ted Davisson;15808]Greetings From New Orleans ,
Well , FINALLY , the Str. Lunga Point is geting raised and salvaged from her leve side resting place since Hurrican Ike blew through this last September 11th. . Hurricane Ike made landfall as a Level 3 hurriccane and the damage she inflicted is still very much present in south Louisiana . In my opinion , just one of the many tradegies that she brought to the river region of Louisiana was the partial sinking of the old Str. Lunga Point . Fortunately , and I guess better latter than never , her present owners , the Plaquemine Point Shipyard ( formerly known as the Banta Fleet ) is now in the process of raising and salvaging this old steam tow boat and I can only assume that she will go back into service at the shipyard to clean tank barges with the steam from her vintage boilers . Time will tell ! Also , in the first picture , and in the foreground is one of the model bow , harbor tugs that we use to maneuver the ships in and out of the docks and anchorages with .
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson[/QUOTE]

Bob Reynolds 02-24-2009 04:01 PM

Ted, do you know if the Bantas plan to put the LUNGA POINT back in operation for her steam plant, or will they let her waste away like so much of their other stuff?

Ted Davisson 02-24-2009 04:59 PM

Capt.'n Bob , Great Question !

3 Attachment(s)
Bob ,
First of all , I wish I could give you a difinate answer but in all honesty , I don't know . I am sure , like many would like to think that they will return her to service , but your guess is good as anyones ! Secondly , great post on Americas Inland Waterway , " Junk Fleets " !! I just wish the Coast Guard would regualte them as much as they regulat the vessels and personel that mann these same river vessels !! Go figure !! Thanks for all your interesting and informative comments !!
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=Bob Reynolds;15935]Ted, do you know if the Bantas plan to put the LUNGA POINT back in operation for her steam plant, or will they let her waste away like so much of their other stuff?[/QUOTE]

Bob Reynolds 03-04-2009 10:24 AM

I just came by the salvage site, and things are not looking up. There is now a THIRD salvage rig and 3 smaller crane barges in addition to the 3 big rigs. The LUNGA POINT is still under water in the sam eposition as Ted's pics. A lot of lifting power, but no progress yet.