not logged in.
           forgot password?

Old BORDER STAR pix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Default Old BORDER STAR pix

Hey all,

Keith Norrington was very kind to give me a set of pictures he found in the collection of the late Captain C. W. Stoll of the old BORDER STAR.

These show one of 4 known Dubuque Boat and Boiler built hydraulic sternwheelers. We have discussed these vessels at great length over the years on the boards, so I won't bore you all with the details of the uniqueness of the drivetrain of the vessels.

This vessel was built in 1969 as the BORDER STAR and was renamed the BONNIE BELLE in 1978. In 1995 she was renamed ARAWANNA BELLE, in 1999 the COCOA BELLE, and in 2004 the MAGNOLIA BELLE, the name she carries to this day.

The purpose of these historic pictures on the 19th of May 1975 is the principal members of the Belle of Louisville Operating Board looking over the vessel as a possible sister-boat to the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. In these pictures you will see W. Clyde Glass, Chairman of the Board, Neil Whitehead (Board Member) and Captain C.W. Stoll (Board Member and part-time Pilot of the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE). In the end they do not buy the vessel. The vessel had been broken into at her landing below the Gay Street Bridge in Knoxville, TN. days before their inspection....hence the rather messy interior shots.

When this inspection was made the vessels COI listed Jack Trotter as the vessels owner.

Here are the questions I have about this set of pictures....anyone with answers feel free to chime in!

Since the JULIA BELLE SWAIN was in the Kentucky Derby Festival Great Steamboat Race just 2 weeks before, Did Captain Dennis Trone have anything to do with the inspection of the BORDER STAR (as he designed and built her)? Was Captain Trone selling the boat for Mr. Trotter (Captain Trone ended up taking her to Chattanooga, TN that summer and later back to Knoxville when he sold the boat to Capt. Lloyd G. Poore who renamed her BONNIE BELLE (Bonnie after his wife and Belle after his mother))? Since it isn't showing in the picture, did Captain Dennis Trone add the air-operated steam whistle set (built by Harry Schell) to her while he owned her? Did Captain Trone add the formal pitman arms to the paddlewheel (as they are not in thises pics and no earlier known picture of the boat)?

Many of you know I have had a love affair with this vessel for several years...hence my many questions here!

If you don't have any answers, feel free to look, save, and comment!

Thanks,

~Travis~