Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   D.Q. Departs N.O. ! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2842-d-q-departs-n-o.html)

Ted Davisson 02-05-2009 03:57 PM

D.Q. Departs N.O. !

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings From New Orleans ,
Yesterday , the 4th. of February was a particular bad day for me at least for the simple reason in a matter of a few short hours I lost two old friends . First and foremost was the passing of Chieg Engineer , Denis Shenk and the second of course was the departure of the Str. Delta Queen from New Orleans . I recall when I was the First Mate , on the Str. Mississippi Queen , when the boat was still in the Jeffboat Shipyard , Denis was there with us and as much apart of the steamboat faternity as anyone . Denis was there with us " paying his dues " in the Engine Room , with all the engineering calamities and mis ques that could possibly fall on any vessel making her " Maiden Voyage " and numerous " Sea Trials " as any vessel could ever have ! Denis was there when the MQ would like on countless occassions , loose her boilers and I would leave the Pilot House to make a mad dash to the bow of the boat to drop the anchor , while Capt. Shelton would hold the wheel . Denis was there for so much more than I can recall and if anyone ever deserves the title of Chief Engineer , it was Denis Shenk ! Denis paid his dues over andand then some ! The other loss that I experienced yesterday was at about 14:15 ( 2:15 pm ) was the passing of another old friend , namly the Str. Delta Queen . At the time , I was south bound in the New Orleans harbor , on a loaded tanker , when I heard on the ship's vhf radio , the familiar voice of my old friend Capt. Finley Frasier , checking traffic in the New Orleans harbor and contacting the Coast Guard , Vessel Traffic Service and acquiring the necessary permission to depart the Perry Street Wharf and head south for the Industrial Canal Lock . I was coming down in the vicinity of the old Public Grain Elevator and did not see the Queen make her departure but when I departed the ship I was in the the New Orleans , General Anchorage , I " shang-hi'ed " the launch boat I was on and got the following pictures as the Str. Qelta Queen made her enterance into the main lock chamber of the Industrial Canal Lock . For all I know , this very well could have been the last time I see this National Treasure which has taken me on so many of my life's adventures and careers ! My only hope and prayer is that the individual that is now leaseing the Queen will take better care of her than her former owner . like so many things , Time Will Tell !
Smooth Sailing 7 God Speed , Delta Queen !
Ted davisson

Phillip Johnson 02-05-2009 09:54 PM

Notice the calliope is still covered in the gray tarps, I guess this means she'll make a very quiet passage to Chattanooga with no "spirited" arrival. Does anyone know if ay of the crew on board can play anyhow? Any idea as to when she'll arrive there? I'll be in that area soon and wouldn't mind detouring if the timing is right. God Speed Delta Queen!

Carmen 02-06-2009 02:15 AM

Phillip,

Yes, the calliope is all covered up and therefore no steamboat music.

Yes, I can assure there are at least two excellent calliope players aboard and Im sure both would love to play it all way long to Chattanooga.

Depending on the weather conditions arrival for Chattanooga is planned between Feb 8 and 11. But I think it will be more Feb 11.

Carmen

Annie Lebeaux 02-06-2009 02:51 PM

Say, Carmen, which calliope-players are aboard the DQ now? I'm proud to say I was the very last one with passengers aboard.

Dave Morecraft 02-06-2009 05:13 PM

What no calliope,!?!?

Phillip & Annie;; I know who one of the players are..:)
And have good idea who the other one is,,,,....

Phillip Johnson 02-06-2009 05:43 PM

According to one news article they plan to have a calliope concert when she gets there so I'd say we'll hear a few notes...hehe ;)

Dave Morecraft 02-06-2009 05:58 PM

THATS Good news,,:) Thanks for that Phillip .....

Phillip Johnson 02-06-2009 06:14 PM

here's the article I saw it in, if you type "Delta Queen" in a news search on Google, you get this along with many others. Here's the link:

[url=http://www.wdef.com/blog/ride_along_with_the_delta_queen_as_she_heads_for_her_new_home_in_chattanooga/02/2009]Ride Along With The Delta Queen As She Heads For Her New Home In Chattanooga | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley[/url]

Bettie Russo 02-06-2009 07:19 PM

colliope on DQ tribute?

[QUOTE=Dave Morecraft;15578]Phillip & Annie;; I know who one of the players are..:)
And have good idea who the other one is,,,,....[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr. Morecraft;
My heart is breaking..PLEASE< PLEASE, can somebody play Dixie for me on her last trip, or at Chattonuga? It is a special , heartfelt memorial for us all, and especially for me. My beloved late Mother loved this boat as deeply as I do, and Dixie has been a part of her history, and mine. I heard it played for me on her last cruise, and I cannot tell you how deeply it touched my soul. This boat is a part of my Southern culture, and the song is just as deeply ingrained in our memory. PLEASE, even if nobody hears it, my Mamma will hear it and I will know she played it one last time for us all? Please?
With all my love,
Bettie

inactive user 02 02-06-2009 11:27 PM

Since most have lost touch with me since I left the boat, I don't know exactly who is on the boat at this time, as I wasn't told by anyone they were going on the boat. But, I sincerely hope someone plays the calliope at the towns on the Tennessee River, as they always loved the calliope when I was there. You can't play it enough up there...trust me!

Godspeed Delta Queen!

~Travis~