Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

JULIA BELLE SWAIN overnight trips in '09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Steamboats 101

Somehow, listening to talk about steamboats and pianos reminds me of the first person I fired on the DELTA QUEEN, a green deckhand found fooling with the piano when he should have been with the rest of us following Cap'n Doc through the Orleans Room and back to the U-shaped Deck to get the garbage off the boat while the O' Room was empty. As soon as we passed aft through the firebox door and the errant swab was seen over on the bandstand tickling the ivories on Vic Tooker's piano, Captain H. turned to me and ordered,

"Fire him!"

And I did as I was told, and such a sweet lad he was, and a halfway-decent piano player. Too bad he didn't know his place until it was too late.

But if anyone is looking for volunteers to help with some steamboat chores that are too-oft going begging, like: cleaning up the place after everyone's finished eating and drinking, emptying the trash and hauling it ashore, washing the dishes, pots, and pans, cleaning the toilets, sweeping and moping the decks, soogeying the white work, shining brass, mucking the bilges, or any of a thousands other necessary, but dreaded, jobs aboard a steamboat-- count me in as I was raised on 'em.