Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   You Might be a Steamboater if . . . (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2705-you-might-steamboater-if.html)

David Dewey 11-25-2008 09:13 AM

You Might be a Steamboater if . . .

Y'all join in, hear?

You might be a Steamboater if:

You cry eveytime you hear "The Delta Queen Waltz" but you also find yourself whistling it during the day..

Jo Ann Schoen 11-25-2008 09:58 AM

Good one David.....How did you know I do that all the time!?!?!

You might be a steamboater if:

You use all your vacation time and money that should be going to a retirement account to ride a steamboat (DELTA QUEEN)....

mel hartsough 11-25-2008 10:51 AM

You might be a steamboater if:

You wake up wondering if you're tied up or underway.
you go around humming certain John Hartford tunes all day.
you tend to answer your boss with "yes sir cap"

Judy Patsch 11-25-2008 11:28 AM

...if you have to explain to a cop what you are doing on the landing at 3AM and that really is the boat I'm waiting for coming under the bridge up there...

Shipyard Sam 11-25-2008 01:22 PM

... if you get misty-eyed when you smell floor sweepings mixed with the scent of soggy cigarettes and stale beer because it reminds you of your AVALON days.

... when you savor fried chicken, white beans, and turnip greens because [I]"it's [U]real [/U]steamboat cooking."[/I]

... when you call the smoke stack on a towboat a chimney; thereby ticking off the dieselboat captain who says he doesn't want to hear any more steamboat talk.

Pat Engle 11-25-2008 01:52 PM

...you think the Save-the-Delta-Queen campaign is more important than the Presidential campaign.

Keith Norrington 11-25-2008 01:58 PM

...you fill every room in your house with "steamboat stuff" and blow three blasts on your car horn when backing out of the garage.

John Jarrett 11-25-2008 03:45 PM

You miss the fact that when you stumble out of a bar on land, it is always an easy walk "downhill" to where the boat is docked. Except leaving Fat Mama's Tamales in Natchez. Boy, that's a steep hill to go down after four of their Knock You Naked margaritas!

Ted Davisson 11-25-2008 05:22 PM

You ARE A Steamboater If......................................

Greetings From New Orleans ,
You ARE a steamboater if you work fifty (50) days on the boat without relief , if your bunk in the forward hole is three feet under a steam line , if your take home pay is $60.00 a week , if you have to use duct tape to tape up all the cracks and openings in the Pilot House to keep warm , if you have outragious and unplanned sand bar parties for the crew , if you have pizzas delivered to you by a store boat when passing through the Baton Rouge harbor , if you propose marriage to some young lady on a lonely lock wall in the middle of the night , if you take a maid on a cruise of the Yazoo River in the DQ's life boat , if you "throw craps" with Capt. Wagner on the bow of the boat while passengers are coming on board , if you put on Halloween masks and look into the Mark Twain bar windows from the out side boat's gunwale , if you bring young ladies to the top of the DQ's pilot house for some live entertainment , if you listen to every word that comes from the mouths of the Crusty ol' Pilots that come on board to pass on their wisdom and experiences , if your sitting in the Aft Cabin Lounge in the middle of the night and the port and starb'd doors open by themselves , if you " Ride The Anchor " on a dare while the boat is underway , if you take the DQ south bound through the Bayou Goula Chute in shut out fog , if you send the " Green " deckhand to the Pilot House for the " Key " to the lock or to the Engine Room for the " Portable Bulkhead Stretcher " , if you go to " Nellies " or the " Under The Hill Bar " and then wind up in the Natchez jail house , if you survive to tell all this , well , YOU are definately a STEAMBOATER !!
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=John Jarrett;14300]You miss the fact that when you stumble out of a bar on land, it is always an easy walk "downhill" to where the boat is docked. Except leaving Fat Mama's Tamales in Natchez. Boy, that's a steep hill to go down after four of their Knock You Naked margaritas![/QUOTE]

Bruno Krause 11-25-2008 06:14 PM

You might be a Steamboater if your better half says [B][I]Where we starting?[/I][/B] and [B][I]Where are we going?[/I][/B]

And you respond with [B][I]Does it matter?[/I][/B] Actually, the direct quote is who gives a rat's...

And she answers back [B][I]No, not really...[/I][/B]

[B][I]Do you want to know what stateroom we're in?[/I][/B]

[B][I]I suspect we're on Starboard Sundeck, somewhere. If so then no, not really...[/I][/B]

About three years this way...

Capt Ted...funny stuff about the past, thanks.