Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   2009 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/2549-2009-sternwheel-towboat-calendar-available.html)

Steve Huffman 10-16-2008 05:05 PM

2009 Sternwheel Towboat Calendar available

2 Attachment(s)
[B]Looking for a great gift idea, or a unique and practical collectible?
Our 2009 Calendar is here![/B]

For 2009 we have returned to the sternwheel towboat theme that was so popular in 2007. In keeping with our tradition of quality photos, the 2009 images are especially sharp, as many of them were scanned at high-resolution directly from negatives.

The 2009 calendar features 13 large photos of gas and Diesel sternwheel towboats printed on heavy card stock (suitable for framing). Each month features a specific boat along with its history, and a complete calendar page with holidays marked. The boats featured for 2009 include:

[B]SEWICKLEY
EDWARD BOGGS
TECUMSEH
JANE RHEA
DIESEL
SHIRLEY
PROSPERITY
HINES ZEPHYR
VIRGINIA
MISS STERLING
WINIFRED
ROBERT T
BROOKLYN[/B]

This is the eighth annual fundraising calendar offered by the non-profit [URL="http://www.hspsi.org"]Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society[/URL], with all proceeds going toward the maintenance of the 1923 sternwheel towboat [URL="http://barbarah.hspsi.org"]BARBARA H[/URL].

Calendar Price: $15.95
Shipping: $4.50 for one; (add $1 for each additional calendar).

Please mail check or money order to:
[B]HSPS, Inc.
11 Ashland Cove Road
Vevay, IN 47043[/B]

[B]Online Credit card ordering is available from our web site's Gift Shop at: [/B]
[url=http://hspsi.org]Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, Inc.[/url]

Below are images of the calendar's front and back covers. Select the thumbnails for larger images.

Edward Ray 10-17-2008 12:53 PM

Steve

When the preacher starts getting personal, he's no longer preaching but now is meddling! You my friend are meddling with your new 2009 calendar, as it is in fact, very personal both to my entire family and myself. You have honor us both by featuring the M/V Jane Rhea in April, but also elected to grace the back with a colored photo of my dad Capt. Jack Ray actually at the wheel of the Jane Rhea. It brings special memories to me, as I took this photo as we made our way down the Cumberland and then up the Ohio River where at Cave-In-Rock we turned the Union Barge Line mighty Jason. Not a bad days work for the little lady. In addition you also included the Hines Zephyr another vessel with special memories.
I commend you for your tireless efforts not only in maintaining another lady the M/V Barbara H. (not to overlook Mrs. Barbara, always remembering that behind every great man there was a grander lady) but also in preserving the history of all of the many gas/diesel power sternwheeler towboats. It will give me great pleasure to include a number of these calendars on my Christmas list for family and friends. Wishing you every success for a great fund-raiser for the coming new years.

Best Regards,
Ed Ray
Dublin, Ohio

Steve Huffman 10-18-2008 07:41 AM

Ed, Yes it was ironic that the 1947 photo of your dad at the wheel of the JANE RHEA came along just two weeks ago, by way of Barry Griffith. It was a perfect fit for the back cover photo, since we already had the JANE RHEA setup for the April page!

-Steve

Edward Ray 10-18-2008 11:12 AM

Steve
Thank you for mentioning Barry Griffith who we are indebted to for bring this picture of my dad forward. Through you I have met a new friend in Berry and we have learned that we share many memories of both my dad Capt Jack Ray and the Hines family of Bowling Green Kentucky. His career has even followed mind beginning on the river, then the U S Air Force but then departing. We had lots to talk about the good old Green River boating day and I am looking forward to exchanging many more river stories. Matbe we will share a few with you Steve.

Regards,
Ed

Barry Griffith 10-25-2008 11:50 AM

Hines Zephyr, Shirley and Capt Jack Ray

Steve, it makes me mighty happy to see you publish another great calendar highlighting sternwheelers of times gone by. This new calendar sure brings back memories. I literally grew up around and on the old " Hines Zephyr". I recognize the majority of the crew that is visible in the picture and they were all great old time rivermen. Ironic that another Hine's boat is also on this calendar-- The "Shirley" was owned by Hines also for a [U]short[/U] period of time I have been told ---but traded for a larger boat that better fit their needs --the "John J. Kelly".
Capt Jack Ray was a dear friend to me as a young boy, as a matter of fact he took me on the boats on my first overnighter without my parents. It delights me to see his picture published. The pictures sure brings back pleasant memories of a time gone by. It also has made me happy to finally chat with a gentleman who I only knew by name--Ed Ray,the son of Capt Jack. Thank you for unknowingly putting that meeting together after so many years!
Steve thanks also for the taking the time and effort for publishing a great Sternwheeler calendar---There will certainly be some bought for Christmas gifts and one for myself. I know for a fact it is a labor of love on you and your wifes part in compiling and publishing such a treasure.

Barry Griffith

Ted Davisson 10-25-2008 01:21 PM

I Just Received Mine !

Greetings From New Orleans ,
I just received my 09' , Sternwheel Towboat Calandar and I for one am very impressed . Infact , I plan to order more for gifts and I cannot imagine anyone that is either directly or indirect involved with the river would not care to receive this . JOB , Well Done !
Smoothe Sailing !
Ted Davisson

[QUOTE=Steve Huffman;13133][B]Looking for a great gift idea, or a unique and practical collectible?
Our 2009 Calendar is here![/B]

For 2009 we have returned to the sternwheel towboat theme that was so popular in 2007. In keeping with our tradition of quality photos, the 2009 images are especially sharp, as many of them were scanned at high-resolution directly from negatives.

The 2009 calendar features 13 large photos of gas and Diesel sternwheel towboats printed on heavy card stock (suitable for framing). Each month features a specific boat along with its history, and a complete calendar page with holidays marked. The boats featured for 2009 include:

[B]SEWICKLEY
EDWARD BOGGS
TECUMSEH
JANE RHEA
DIESEL
SHIRLEY
PROSPERITY
HINES ZEPHYR
VIRGINIA
MISS STERLING
WINIFRED
ROBERT T
BROOKLYN[/B]

This is the eighth annual fundraising calendar offered by the non-profit [URL="http://www.hspsi.org"]Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society[/URL], with all proceeds going toward the maintenance of the 1923 sternwheel towboat [URL="http://barbarah.hspsi.org"]BARBARA H[/URL].

Calendar Price: $15.95
Shipping: $4.50 for one; (add $1 for each additional calendar).

Please mail check or money order to:
[B]HSPS, Inc.
11 Ashland Cove Road
Vevay, IN 47043[/B]

[B]Online Credit card ordering is available from our web site's Gift Shop at: [/B]
[url=http://hspsi.org]Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society, Inc.[/url]

Below are images of the calendar's front and back covers. Select the thumbnails for larger images.[/QUOTE]

Steve Huffman 12-01-2008 03:19 PM

Since our Calendar info somehow did not appear in the September S&D Reflector as expected, this is just a reminder that the 2009 Calendar is available and makes a nice holiday gift.

A big thanks to all who have purchased calendars thus far!

inactive user 01 12-01-2008 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To all those contemplating,

I don't wish to steal any of the thunder in the fight to save the DELTA QUEEN, but I will say that the sales from these calendars are a "BIG" part of our fundraising efforts for the BARBARA H. The funds generated help with annual maintenance and restoration of this floating National Historic Landmark sternwheeler. We realize that times are tough for everyone, but if your in a position to be able to purchase one of these calendars for yourself or for someone you know will enjoy it we sincerly appreciate your purchase. Keep in mind we are a non-profit with no corporate assistance. With your help we can continue to keep the BARBARA H paddling for many, many years to come. I feel I speak for the entire volunteer crew when I say thank you for your continued support of our public mission of education and historic preservation for this old boat.

A heartfelt thank you to all who are able to make a calendar purchase this year!!!!!!

First Mate Aaron

Steve Huffman 12-17-2008 01:46 PM

Last call for the '09 Calendar. It has been a popular one. We still have a good quantity in-stock.

For those who have already purchased, we thank you very much!!