Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Str. Lunga Point - Down For The Count ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Str. Lunga Point - Down For The Count ??

Greetings From New Orleans ,
Today I am on a north bound light bulker ( grain ship ) bound for the Cargil Grain elevator in Port Allen , Louisiana . The unfortunate thing that I must report to those of you that are interested in what I have to say , is the fact that the Str. Lunga Point is no longer safe in her moorings in the Banta Fleet , on the east bank of the river and across the river from Plaquemine , Louisiana ! Sadly , she is now laying on her starb'd side , barely above the water , now on the west bank of the river , just about a quarter mile up river from the old Plaquemine Lock . I can only imagine that she broke loose from her moorings during the gail force winds that have recently blown through the state and left her not only on the other side of the river but actually blew her up and across the river as well . There is an oil boom around her to hopfully catch any oil residue that may leak from her hull but at this point and time her fate is certainly unknown . I'll follow this report with a follow up if and when I can find out any additional information . Say a prayer for the ol' girl and hopfully she will be salvaged and renovated and returned to the Banta Fleet .
Smooth Sailing !
Ted Davisson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD 033.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD 037.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2078   Click image for larger version