not logged in.
           forgot password?

MQ Machinery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Norrington View Post
Frank: I just read recently, to my sorrow, that the engines on the OMAR (now CITY OF CLINTON SHOWBOAT) were removed and scrapped to make more space for theatre operations. When Judy and I visited aboard the boat way back in the summer of 1981, the engine room was all intact, nicely painted and pristine.
What a shame it is to lose those engines. Dad was the OMAR's Chief for awhile, and I believe that she was his favorite boat. Many a time I heard him wax how the OMAR's engineroom was all spit and polish. The deck was painted vermillion red with hunter green walk ways. The guages at the footbox were all chrome plated with "Str. OMAR, Port of Cincinnati, Ohio" etched on them. The throttle and ship-up jack too were chrome plated, and the Russian iron sheeting on the engines was kept highly polished. The railings on the catwalk along side of the engines too was chrome plated. He related how once a cigarette butt was found on the deck in the engineroom, and all hell broke loose. It was made clear that such disregard to the engineroom would not be tolerated!