not logged in.
           forgot password?

Capt. Wagner Memorial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Bill..............

Bill ,
Thanks for the information you have provided concerning the Capt. Wagner Memorial , plaque and the other information as well . Since your in the area would you consider being our " Point Man " in the area there and consider doing some of the much needed leg work that must take place ? Also ,please contact me when possible at : nobra70@charter.net or 504-615-7070 . I would like to speak to you concerning some of the most pressing matters concerning the memorial so please contact me whn possible . Thanks again for all your help and interest !
Smoothe Sailing !
Ted Davisson OTE=Bill Judd;12442]Capt. Davisson was lucky that there was anything to see at the Wagner memorial. On July 20th. we had a very bad storm with 70 m.p.h. winds and lots of rain. The two remaining big trees by the memorial came crashing down as did about two dozen more in that area. I was called and told of the situation and after cutting my way out of my driveway drove down to the riverfront and had to park several blocks away. As I came down the street all I could see were the two trees and NO memorial or DQ airscoops. I just felt all was flattened. As the branches were cut away the memorial and both air scoops appeared, damaged but intact. One tree trunk missed the scoops by less than a foot. Do you think "Big Ern" pushed them out of the way ?? The plaque is in safe keeping at the Townhall, the damaged brick on the memorial is to be repaired, the air scoops repainted and cracked paving blocks replaced. The plaque will be installed. Cap's stepson Walter Stark still lives in New Richmond as does his Granddaughter Gina Dees who works for me. Trust me Cap is not forgotten. Several side notes, in Capt. Walnuts post he refers to a grave site, Capt. Wagner is buried in Florida. Also the Wagner home, just across from the memorial has recently been redone. It's had several owners but is still known by all the locals as the "Wagner house". Hope this makes the situation seem better. Ted's right on the trees, thirty years ago our riverfront was lined with stately huge trees, now all are gone, none by the fault of man.[/QUOTE]