Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Current disposition of m/v HARBOR POINT / CITY OF CATLETTSBURG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Current disposition of m/v HARBOR POINT / CITY OF CATLETTSBURG

I'm looking for more info on a diesel towboat built in 1929 by Nashville Bridge. It originally used a short-lived "caterpillar" style of propulsion. Then by 1949 Fred Way states that it was the only sidewheel towboat operating. Then it was converted to twin screw, and by 1983 was owned by Merdie Boggs and Sons. They renamed it to CITY OF CATLETTSBURG. My collection of Inland River Records is not complete, so I lose track of it after 1985. Apparently it has been renamed but may still be owned by Merdie Boggs & Sons.

Here is the info I have:

In the first edition of Fred Way's "Inland River Record, 1945", is states:
"HARBOR POINT
Sidewheel, steel hull. Built at Nashville by Nashville Bridge Co, 1929. Originally caterpillar towboat named SUNCO A-4, owned by Standard Unit Navigation Co., Nashville. Later converted to Sidewheel type, now believed to be the only one of its kind. 93.1' x 18.1' x 5'. 200 HP diesel. Owned by Waterways Transportation Inc, St. Louis."

Then it has been converted to propeller by the time the 1949 Inland River Record was printed:
"HARBOR POINT
Diesel towboat, steel hull, twin prop. Built at Nashville by Nashville Bridge Co, 1929. 88' x 18.1' x 4.7'. General Motors 6 cyl. 4.5 x 5 diesels total 230 HP at 1800 rpm. Originally towboat named SUNCO A-4, owned by Standard Unit Navigation Co., Nashville. Sold in 1946 and converted to sidewheel towboat, and given present name by Mid-Continent Barge line. Present owner bought her after another conversion. Now owned by Ashland Oil & Refinging Co, Ashland KY."

From 1946-1948 it was named EDWIN F and the sidewheel propulsion, which was only used for 1 or 2 years, was converted to 3 HarborMaster outboard propeller diesel units. The name HARBOR POINT was restored in 1948.

This 1949 info mentions who gave it the name Harbor Point. Apparently that trivia was unknown to Fredy Way when the 1945 Inland River Record was printed.

By 1968 she was still owned by Ashland, but had been widened to 33', and new GM diesels totalling 395 HP.

By 1985 it had been renamed to CITY OF CATLETTSBURG, and again repowered (in 1975) with GM12-V71 diesels totalling 1020 HP. Size listed as 93' x 33'. Sold to Merdie Boggs & Sons in 1983.