Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Regarding the PA DENNY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Regarding the PA DENNY

Today marked my first visit to the Cincinnati riverfront, which for all intents and purposes is located across the river in Covington and Newport. Due north of our hotel is the dock of the PA DENNY, a sternwheeler which I'm sure the majority of you are already familiar with. Dad and I headed down to check her out, since we've never been on her. Originally we scoped her out due to one of the Frisbie calliope triplets being aboard. I can tell you that the boat is in need of maintenance and the calliope is all but non-operational, with rusted valves and electronics and split and bent chimes.

Fortunately, we were greeted by Frank Trainor, originally of Tennessee but in Cincinnati for the boat's season that runs through November. He is fairly new to the boat, and we got the impression that he is the boat's new owner. Frank is a very amiable and energetic fellow, and we are certain that, where riverboats are concerned, he "gets it." Work is progressing to get the DENNY in good working order, and there is much construction underway with Frank at the helm of the project. From our too-brief conversation with him, he is a very good thing for this boat. He said that right now, most of his focus is on the interior, with exterior painting and the myriad other jobs to come next.

Frank mentioned that he may be perusing this board in the near future, and I encourage everyone to welcome him (unless everyone already knows him, which is apt to happen among riverfolk!) with all the kindness that is second nature to those who frequent steamboats.org.