not logged in.
           forgot password?

Living On The " Bature "

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Living On The " Bature "

Greetings From New Orleans ,
Just one of the many things that makes New Orleans truly unique and different from many other cities and even other river cities as well , is the fact that there is a small community of homes , about ten in number , that exist on the Bature of the Mississippi River . First of all , the Bature is that small and narrow piece of land that lies between the river side of the levee and the Mississippi River . I have noticed this area from the first day I made my first cruise up the river and have often wondered how and why some people would so choose to live here . Now what really makes this tiny piece of real estate unusal is the fact that due to an ancient and almost forgotton law , this property although adjacent to the City of New Orleans and in Orleans Parish (county) the people that reside in these homes pay no property taxes but also receive no city services . These homes reside on the East Bank (left decending shore) of the Mississippi River , just south of Upper Nine Mile Point , in the Carrolton area of the city and have existed in all likelyhood from the first time Bienvenue first came up the Mississippi River . In my opinion this is prime real estate and just imagine the view of not only the river but all manner of river craft as well . I can only surmise that the only reason a developer has not moved in and purchased the property and turned it into some multi million dollar project . The only down side to this area is the obvious that there is no protection form the river and as mentioned no city services .
Smoothe Sailing !
Ted Davisson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River Bature Living.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1496   Click image for larger version

Name:	River Bature Living 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1497   Click image for larger version