Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

What Is It About River Pilots ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 PM

Default What Is It About River Pilots ??

Greetings From New Orleans ,
I am sure all of us have heard and just possibly used the expression , " Birds of a feather flock together " . Well , what is it about not only River Pilots but for that matter people in general that work in the marine industry that they all have in common ? I've been involved in this marine industry in some form or fashion now for over thirty-three years and its been my observation that all though there are certainly many , varied and distinct differences there is also a common thread that links these different personalities together. I've met , worked and become acquainted with old pilots , young pilots , pleasant pilots , grumpy pilots , religious pilots and pilot scoundrals and some charletons that claim to be pilots but there is a certain something that I've just not been able to put my finger on that they all have in common . My point is , what is it that links them all together ? Taking this notion one step futher , Willie Nelson , tells us in a song , " Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys " , well in my opinion he certainly could have substituted cowboys for River Pilots and the message would have been the same , " They never stay home and they're always alone , even with someone they love " .
Food for thought !!
Smoothe sailing !
Ted Davisson