not logged in.
           forgot password?

a new steamboats.org

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default a new steamboats.org

It's done! After spending about 3 weeks of full-time work, steamboats.org is completely new - and if I did a good job, you almost won't recognize it.

Let me know what you think about the (slightly) new design, but especially let me know when you run into error messages or any kind of other problems that might occure. I did test-runs for days, was juggling with about 20 different web browsers, Windows, MacOS and Linux, but some mistakes and problems usually do not surface in tests but only in real life ;-)

Some technical background, for the ones who are curious:

Steamboats.org did consist of many hundreds of single, static HTML pages (not counting the 28,000 pages if the old message board which I didn' touch; they're still static pages). It is a nightmare to take care of so many static pages and it's almost impossible to make even small changes as you would have to change every single page, manually.

Now steamboats.org is competely database-driven, every page comes from a professional content management system and is easy to maintain. It did cost me a lot of time to achieve this, but it'll be a timesaver in the future.

I hope you like it and sure hope it will be a benefit for all of us.

Franz