Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Arguments in favor of re-exempting the Delta Queen (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/1512-arguments-favor-re-exempting-delta-queen.html)

Alan Bates 06-11-2007 11:46 AM

Arguments in favor of re-exempting the Delta Queen

While the romance, the history and the rarity of the Delta Queen are valid reasons for her continuing operation, these are not the arguments that will catch the eyes of politicians. They could care less about the boat's grandeur and the quality of the entertainment. They have zero interest in the scenery on the Upper Mississippi River.
No! They are interested in the SAFETY of the boat. They care whether a hundred VOTERS lose their jobs. They hate to lose the TAX REVENUES from ticket sales and the incomes of personnel. They fear the RESPONSIBILITY for permitting the boat to exist. They can understand the future use of the boat for MILITARY personnel, as it did during WW II. They even understand the PUBLICITY value and the INCOME derived as a tourist attraction. But the food, the personal satisfactions, the entertainments, the shore stops are for fans, not congressmen and women.
Therefor, address their interests, not yours, in appeals to the government.

Judy Patsch 06-11-2007 11:58 AM

Your petition statement covered it, Alan. One other thing to keep in mind in writing : keep it factual. While the company's PR department may want to 'create' facts to sell trips, no need for that in this situation.

Shipyard Sam 06-11-2007 12:38 PM

SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN Take II

In spite of all the tears, the appeals, the petitions, the public support, the rallys, the celebrity appearances... the 1970 [U]SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN[/U] epic was a failure. Only when a rider was added to a bill to pay a Federal employee moneys due, that could not be denied, was the QUEEN saved at the last moment. The DELTA QUEEN may need another insider-friend when all's said and done; so writing those cards and letters to the Congress may help to find that certain [I]friend[/I].

Judy Patsch 06-11-2007 01:37 PM

A good point... if anyone is closely connected to a congressman, whether or not he/she is listed on the contacts and this particular committee, it wouldn't hurt to bend their ear, just in case...

David Dewey 06-12-2007 12:17 AM

Ahem, I repeat--Who knows how to contact former President Jimmy Carter?? What better "insider" than someone of importance who has actually ridden the DQ??? I think he still has some sway in Washington.
S'
David D.

David Dewey 06-12-2007 12:37 AM

I disagree, "... the 1970 SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN epic was a failure. Only when a rider was added to a bill to pay a Federal employee moneys due, that could not be denied, was the QUEEN saved at the last moment."
I believe that rider was a direct result of the campaign --many politicians worked together to get around Garmatz. Remember, in those days he had a LOT of pull in congress. I believe his "poison" letter did as much to help the cause as anything--it showed how much "over the top" he was about the DQ.
But then that's just my opinion! The important message here is to get the word out to save the Delta Queen!!
S'
David D.

Ted Guillaum 06-12-2007 10:07 AM

Asking for legislative help

Asking for legislative support on an issue is very important. I know nothing about how things work in the U.S. Congress but I have a particular insight to state level politics here in Tennessee thanks to my job responsibilities of recording the TN Senate for the Archives. I have heard members say on several occasions that they had no opinion on a particular issue until ONE person contacted them, therefore they were willing to vote for or against the issue. Politics on the federal level probably works about the same. We always hear people say "Write your congressman" and many people think that they are wasting their time. That may not be the case in all situations. I urge everyone to contact anyone they think is appropriate in Washington if they want their voice heard to Save The Delta Queen.