not logged in.
           forgot password?

Great time on the AQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Traynor View Post
The theatre is always available, as far as I know. No first run (or even second run) movies, though. Mostly just vintage and classic stuff from their collection, as you can tell from Sally's list.
Hi Pat,

I forget what we did on the Delta Queen, but last season, one of my duties as Assistant Cruise Director on the MQ was to come up with the movie schedule.

We did a different rotation each cruise. Most of the movies were of recent vintage. United 93 was a popular title, as I recall. Mixed in were at least one "classic" and one or two shorter titles germane to the particular cruise. The day before a stop at Paducah, for example we would show a video about Paducah (I forget the title). Natchez and Vicksburg usually rated a Civil War title, big band cruises featured The Glenn Miller Story with Jimmy Stewart, and so on.

The movies were a popular activity for a surprising number of people. Well, surprising to me anyway, as I usually got the call whenever the automatic computer program malfunctioned and I had to face some very upset folks.

Phil came up with what I thought was a unique use of the theater. He had the engineeers figure out how to channel a satellite feed of the World Series through the theater system and that was very popular.

On the Empress of the North, we had a DVD player in the boat-wide video system to feed movies to the cabins. Again, the idea there was to show recent movies and features dealing with the itinerary that week. So among the theater release titles, we would show a Lewis and Clark feature, or something about Alaska.

Paul