Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Working on the DQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Working on the DQ

I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you, and others know me as an occasional poster. As a Cincinnatian, I fell in love with steamboating, and the DQ, as a teen. I'm now living my dream and working on the boat! I decided that I'd better do it now, and am currently bartending aboard the boat. I've read many discussions about working on the boats, and I'll tell you, I probably have the easiest job on the boat. Even so, it is not for everyone. I work at least 11 hours a day, all on my feet; sleep on the top bunk, where I have to avoid the sprinkler head (!); and don't have time to eat! But I also am privleged to care for a legacy! While I mix drinks, I tell people the history of the boat, and of steamboating. I get to travel the rivers, and sit on the bow at night, watching the light pick out the markers. I spend my free time in the engineroom, where I've oiled the pitmans! And I've seen how hard everyone else works, too. It takes dedicated people to keep this grand lady going, but she is worth it. I love just being able to do the simplest things for her--polish her brass, or keep her customers happy, so they will keep coming back. So if you have a trip scheduled, please come see me.
I will be posting a few pictures, if you are interested. I'm not the best photographer, and internet access is limited while on the boat, so bear with me. I'll be back on the boat beginning June 12.