Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   nightmare for the delta queen boats (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/1194-nightmare-delta-queen-boats.html)

Nick-Taylor 03-27-2007 11:24 PM

nightmare for the delta queen boats

Hello everyone,

I feel like I am having a nightmare about the Delta Queen, and American Queen so far. After seeing the updates to the boats I feel so sick about it. Instead of spending millions of dollars to give the boats a new image, I don't understand why MAL didn't just give them a fresh coat of paint and keep them the way they were. I think more than 90% of steamboaters would be happy with it that way :)

First the eagle on the front of the Delta Queen's pilot house gave the impression that the boat was smiling when looking at her from straight on. Now this new logo looks sad. It looks like a sticker decal for a model car you can buy at walmart. :( I really hope they put something new up there, something 3D like the eagle was.

Also about the American Queen, is it just me, or does this blue paint make everyone sick? You know when you see a towboat on the river that is being painted, they remove the old paint then apply the new? That is what this looks like from those pics I have seen. It looks like bare metal that is in preparation for new paint. If they had to add color they should have painted the whole thing white like before, and then added red trim like the DQ, and MQ. I personally think painting the sides of the decks blue was the worst choice possible, besides maybe bright orange.

Anyway, I personally am very disappointed with how the boats look, but I guess that isn't the most important thing, and what is important is that they are running again. I hope somehow, someway that they will revert back to the way they were before all of this started, but I doubt that will happen. :(

-Nick

Sally Harris 03-28-2007 08:07 AM

I am disappointed about the direction the Queens are going as far as Outward appearance but, if they keep the overall feel of the river and the time period then I will be happy. It's not the vessel so much as it's the experience . I love the people on the boats from the cabin attendents to the entertainers. that's what makes my trip. When those things are gone then I will be very very sad.

Judy Patsch 03-28-2007 10:00 AM

Sorry, but to many of us,the vessel IS the main part of the experience. Food, drink, entertainment, rooms, you can get anywhere. And most of us cherish the historical significance of steamboats. While changes are obviously necessary over the years, such as steel superstructures, air-conditioning, other amenities - to strip away traditional things just to give it your brand's image is sad. Steamboats, with a yellow SIDNEY, and the metallic PRESIDENT and ADMIRAL as notable exceptions, have always been painted white. What was the Mark Twain quote about a steamboat looking like a giant wedding cake? So Sally, if you don't mind a pink boat with purple polka dots, that's fine for you, but for many of us who look at these boats as a continuation of the proud steamboating tradition, it is sad to see the unnecessary desecration MAL is inflicting on them.(Nobody has posted about the non-red AQ paddlewheel yet. The gambling boat on Lake Pontchartrain has a mauve wheel, and Corps boats had reddish-orange, but paddlewheels are RED, bright RED.) Yes, Nick, you have a very good handle on what that blue reminds you of, and you are not an old fogey poster. Thanks for your insightful youthful input.

Bruce MacCullagh 03-28-2007 10:30 AM

I know I am sticking my neck out here, but anyone want to offer to do a fund raiser to retore the Delta Queen to her appearance as she was 63 years ago?

Judy Patsch 03-28-2007 10:33 AM

Contact the US Navy, they've probably got some spare gray paint...

Sally Harris 03-28-2007 10:34 AM

All I'm saying is why beat a dead horse. These people couldn't care less about what we think. I don't like the new colors but that in itself will not stop me from riding. Now when they redo the interior to look like a cruise ship then I will have to look elsewhere for my trip back in time.

Judy Patsch 03-28-2007 11:03 AM

"All I'm saying is why beat a dead horse. These people couldn't care less about what we think. "

EXACTLY!!!! Jack up the prices, reduce the quality of the product, erase the uniqueness, and screw anyone who cares! That's the new 'gold standard'! Whatever happened to "The customer is always right"??? Now, the fact is: the ownership is always right, and we've just got to learn to live with it. Doesn't sound very conducive to making much of a profit and keeping the QUEENS running long to me...

Bruce MacCullagh 03-28-2007 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking at this picture (which didn't scan well) that I took the last time I saw the DQ, and I don't see the smile

Shipyard Sam 03-28-2007 12:13 PM

Classic

Wow! Thanks for the scan. Must be at least 35 years ago; maybe longer. Cool. Looks like Captain Harry Louden out there on the port wing bridge. Where was it taken? The stack crown looks so clean and fresh. Y/T must have been the Mate. That's Captain Wagner's personal signature Golden Eagle on front of the pilothouse. [I]"Back in the goodle daze."[/I]

Keith Norrington 03-28-2007 01:22 PM

Yep Sam, from the "goodle daze" as John Hartford would sing. I wish Big Cap's golden eagle was back on the pilothouse too. That "whatever it is" on there now, obviously done with a crayon or magic marker, is downright deplorable! Certainly not fitting for a Queen!!!!