Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

MAL Enrichment Program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 PM

I am sure that Mary Charlton would have loved to have learned what it would take to be a First Mate.

Regardless of whether Majestic America Line calls them Discovery Guides, we will refer to them as Riverlorians. However, I wonder if the term Floozie has a copyright to it. I had been thinking of using the title Memoirs of a Steamboat Floozie but now I have second thoughts on the matter.

I might have my threads mixed up because it has been a long day but thanks for the photos of the AQ in her red and blue paint. It does look strange to me. It reminds me that my first season on the AQ, a deckhand had painted the deck red outside the Captain's Bar and I had to go to work but the signage was on the wrong side of the door for me so I had red paint on the bottom of my shoes forever after. A few people were upset but I just laughed. It was my first week aboard the boat and was indicative of things to come.

As for the guides, riverlorians, or anyone telling tall tales- I thought that was part of the charm of the experience. Bob Schad would do a whole show on silly exchanges between passengers and crew. They were quite funny. One of the funniest was the passenger who thought she was trapped inside her room because of the signage when she closed the door.

That's steamboatin'

Last edited by Elaine Santangelo; 03-27-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: correct spacing