Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

How's the river? High or normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 PM

My DQ chronology: I first saw her on her first UMR trip in 1954, when she ran through herself and sat here at the RI levee for 8 days. My family went down every night to sit and look at a boat doing nothing...every year after that, my dad and I would race down to the levee when we'd hear her whistle signalling the Crescent RR bridge. After our floodwall was built in 1964, she could no longer stop here and I was away at college so didn't see her for a few years. In 1968 my dad and I drove down to Muscatine and we were able to go aboard on the free tour. I remember the calliope playing as we approached, and it was of course Doc Hawley, then Mate and whom I wouldn't meet for another ten years. I remember the Greene Line grayishgreen paint on the railings the most of anything. I was impressed, but not overcome by that visit. A friend, not I, booked my first trip for Aug. 20-23,1973, and that was it.... I rode 39 times between 1973-83 and two more this decade with my 'granddaughter' Leonie and her parents, and have been baking cookies since 1977 for all the QUEENS' passes through here, which sometimes was 10 consecutive weeks. In the last decade I've been doing more hospital/dialysis/airport/drugstore/Harley-Davidson runs for them too. So while my cruising days have probably ended, I still am able to keep in the flow of things - or at least have up to this point, who knows what the new regime will bring?