Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   River Talk & Cruises (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/)
-   -   Win the big Snickers Bar (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/river-talk-cruises/109-win-big-snickers-bar.html)

Jim Reising 05-26-2006 01:27 PM

Win the big Snickers Bar

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a picture of the Delta Queen's officers, ca. 1956. If you can go around the table and name each person and their position, you win the big Snickers Bar.

David Tschiggfrie 05-26-2006 09:31 PM

No Snickers (or see-gar!)

Jim, I wouldn't even qualify to win the wrapper! The only person I recognize is the legendary Purser, Robert H. McCann in right foreground. Could that possibly be Capt. Harris Underwood on the left of the table. I just don't go back far enough. I'm be watching for the "answer key". Hope to see you at the Howard Museum on July 1st.

Shipyard Sam 05-27-2006 06:34 AM

That's Captain Albert Kelly to the left of Bob. McCann. The gentleman in the center, rear, is Captain Paul Underwood. Perhaps that's Jim Swartzwelder or Terry Beckett to Captain Harris's right. That's Capt. Doc Carr in the front, left, but I do not know the Chief Engineer, the pretty young lady, or the smiling young man to the right of Captain Paul.

Jim Blum 05-27-2006 08:04 PM

Could the Engineer be "Skyjack" Turner? A name that Bill Prudent often referred to.

Ah yes, Albert Sidney Kelly of the famous, in later years, quote "I Tried to tell them there ain't no water in Brandenburg".

Shipyard Sam 05-27-2006 09:49 PM

If only Cap'n Doc or Virginia Bennett had a computer... and used it!

[I]"I tried to tell 'em..."[/I] Can't you just hear Captain Roddy telling that story? "[I]I tried to tell 'em, but they wouldn't listen."[/I] Several times I have used that expression at work, and the fun is explaining where it all originated.

Shipyard Sam 05-28-2006 07:06 AM

Closer to the Snickers Bar

Left to right: Doc Carr ( 1st mate), Harris
Underwood, Pilot; Jack Cleary Steward and bass player and
Mary Greene's 1st husband; Mary Greene Cleary; Paul Underwood,
Pilot and Captain; Still not sure of the next guy; Albert Kelly, Pilot; Bob McCann, Purser; Again, not exactly sure of
the Engineer's name.

Pat Traynor 05-28-2006 10:29 AM

Hey, try the old fashioned way. If you can print a decent copy of that photo, mail one to Doc and one to Virginia via snail mail. If they can both idenify everyone, do they have to split the Snicker's bar, Jim?

Shipyard Sam 05-29-2006 12:53 PM

Stab in the Dark

That dark-headed fellow, in back, might be [U]Vic Fine[/U], piano player and the Assistant Chief may be [U]Jesse Armstrong[/U]. But, however, those are guesses.

Alan Bates 05-29-2006 03:08 PM

My guesses, l. to r.: Harris Underwood, Albert Kelly, Jim Swartzwelder, unknown, Paul Underwood, unknown, unknown, Bob McCann. I do not know the lady.

Shipyard Sam 05-29-2006 08:41 PM

Now for the judge's decision. Who has the most correct answers? Drum Roll, Please.