Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

River Ramblings Retrospective

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

I first began volunteering at the Howard Steamboat Museum in 1968 when I was 14 years old. Since 2008 marks my 40th year of being connected with the museum, board members come to me with questions about how things looked before the fire, etc., because there are fewer and fewer people remaining who actually remember. Alan Bates, who was a founding board member, Jim Reising, Kenny Howe, Ruth Heffern (Loretta Howard's granddaughter) and a very few others are left who were "regulars" and recall the museum from its earliest days when Mrs. Howard was still there to preside over the mansion and collections, delighted that she had managed to bring Capt. Jim Howard's dream of turning the house into a museum to fruition.

2008 will also mark the 50th anniversary of the museum's opening in 1958. After the Golden Eagle River Museum at St. Louis closed in 2004 (after 30 years of operation) we are concerned that the Howard Museum not suffer a similar fate due to lack of interest and volunteers needed to keep the 22 room mansion open. We have a very small paid staff and some dedicated volunteers who are aging and dwindling in number. We understand that everybody can't be a volunteer and greatly appreciate the many out of town members who continue to support the museum through annual memberships and contributions. And a special whistle salute to those special people like Judy Patsch, who drive 400+ miles to help at events (bringing a cargo of cookies!) and Ted Guillaum, that lovable former DQ purser turned organ grinder who donates his time and talent each spring to provide lilting melodies for both days of the festival. THANKS!!!!

Last edited by Keith Norrington; 02-28-2007 at 03:39 PM.