View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Very important--this could really be our chance. There is a lot of thinking going on right now about how to handle this possible opportunity. This is my understanding, which Franz will clarify as we get more info: the Rules Committee meets each day, deciding whether to allow amendments to be attached to existing bills, so we will not know until the last minute if Rep. Chabot's amendment will be allowed. For now, my suggestion is this: If you or someone you know lives in a district a Rules Committee member represents, NEXT WEEK fax a letter to that person in his/her home district or even better, make an appointment to visit that person. They should be home in their district before reconvening to consider legislation. We have put together a list of the Rules Committee members; Vicki Webster has put together a comprehensive set of documents for each state. I have both if you need them. I personally have encountered misinformation among legislators, so be prepared with clear reasons why you think this should be considered by the full House. Keep the drama down! We are asking the rules committee to allow our voices to be heard by allowing every representative to consider the fate of the Delta Queen. More to come soon.
Many thanks to Roger for posting this, and to Vicki for her behind-the-scenes work. Our tireless worker, JoAnn, will never get enough for what she does!!
Email me at maryswardcharlton@hotmail.com