View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
polaris6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds
Polaris, If I understand you correctly, you want to turn left in front of a tow to go in a cove. You say (or blow), "see you on two". You will be turning to your port side. You will leave the tow on your starboard side. When he gets to you, you will be in the cove already. You are on his straboard (two whistle) side when he comes by. Two whistles. I'm not sure I understand your confusion.

By the way,the preferred term for calling a vessel would be the upBOUND or downBOUND tow at such and such, vs the upRIVER tow. You will never meet of overtake a BARGE unless it is adrift, in which case you should notify someone there is a problem. You will be dealing with TOWS or other vessels.
I am sorry I didn't make myself clear. The two examples were pulled from sources I found on the net; they were not of my making. I posted them to illustrate my confusion with what I found in terms of what I thought I understood.

I understand the two-toot starboard and one-toot port. What I didn;t understand was what I read about the boat entering the lock, and why I when if I wanted to turn to the left in a cove (as explained in the example that I didn't provide), in front of a vessel approaching me, that I should tell that vessel "two whistles".

Remember that these are not my words, but what someone else advised what should be done in this situation. I would have let the vessel pass and turned to port after the approaching vessel passed to be perfectly safe.

My personal concern is that I will be cruising on the Mississippi, Illinois and Ohio in about a month and I was looking for a site with some guidelines for this type of communication. As yet, I have found none, except the one reference @ USAWaterways.com.

Any suggestions?