View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 AM
polaris6

Thanks. The point of clarification came when you referred to the other vessel and its starboard or port side. However, below I have included 2 situations, one published in the USAWaterways.com and the other on another site, which confuse me (in the light of the last explanation).

"One whistle" or "see you on one" - this refers to whistle/horn signals. Let's say you are approaching a barge that is still a distance away and you want to go into a cove to your port. You could hail the barge on the VHF and tell him "Two whistles." That lets the barge know you want to go to the side of the river with the cove on it.

What bothers me about this is the port is on the left of the vessel 'making the statement' (that would be the starboard of an oncoming vessel, or the port of a vessel if you were approaching from the rear). In either case, two whistles should apply to the starboard side of one or the other of the vessels. In this case, it would have to the vessel you are approaching head on. But shouldn't the instruction be something different than...." I plan to make a left turn in front of you ...."?

Below is the second example that confuses me:

" An up-river tow, ready to enter the lock, called to ask us (proceeding downstream) to pass him on a two-whistle - that is, to his port - so our diminutive wake would not push him against the bank"

I don't understand this one at all.

Thanks for the help.