View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Steamboating colleagues:
River pilots always intrigued/impressed me observing them in operation. Their mystique and personalities are something I know nothing about let alone the poetry, songs or need for a job that summoned them. When Capt. Fred Way finished his galley for 'PILOTIN' COMES NATURAL,' Feb. 17, 1942, he ruminated over his experiences and in the final pages wrote on pilots as he saw them at the time. No doubt some of his impressions have changed with both men and women pilots and officers now holding much higher levels of education in varying fields. Fred says:

"The pilot in this new age [1942] is a well-mannered, neatly dressed, quiet-spoken individual with a high school education and frequently a year or so of college training. Usually he is married, has a family, an automobile, and likes to get home frequently. He makes more money in one week than Dayton Randolph earned in a month. He belongs to a church, is respected as an honest citizen at home, and can make 60% on a 'TIME MAGAZINE' test.' ...Old style steamboats still operate and there is a feeling of 'at homeness' aboard them for rivermen who have grey hair showing behind their ears. As long as these old craft remain I hope to have some part in their operation." He added, 'You can't make a pilot out of anybody,' Dayton Randolph told me. 'A man has to have it born in him; pilotin' comes natural.' "

A blue water sailor [Man or woman] upon final retirement is said to "Have swallowed the anchor." Don't know what the term would be for a muddy water pilot, deckhand, officer, engineer etc. Anybody know?

Cheers,
R. Dale Flick