Thread: News Articles
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Administrator

It's not my intention to defend Majestic America Line here. But I think it's important to be careful with the interpretation of newspaper articles. Being a journalist myself I know how much (or little) sometimes there is behind statements, conclusions and so called facts when they're published in the press.

I like the article, but the reporter obviously didn't do any research at all (though he has written articles about the Delta Queen before, so he of course knows what he is talking about). Wayne Rassman did a very good job in forwarding one of my postings on save-the-delta-queen.org (http://www.save-the-delta-queen.org/...exemption-yet/), as almost everything in this article is taken from there.

I actually love it when it works like this :-))

But: The Majestic America Line's "she could not say" statement is weeks old and came from the PR agency, not from the company itself. So this statement doesn't tell us more than "sorry, I'm just the PR agency and not authorized to say anything about this issue at this time".

Bruno, I don't want to say you're wrong - you're probably right, but that statement is in fact not saying anything about this issue.

To add my five cents on why Majestic America Line doesn't tell us anything about their intentions: To me it appears that there might be two possible reasons why Majestic America Line simply doesn't say anything in the public at all:

a) There might be something the Unions have in their hands against Majestic that doesn't give them a choice. Something mysterious in the background where I have no idea what it could be. This would explain why Majestic gave up so early and isn't commenting - they simply can't comment without disclosing what this is all about with the Unions. Just speculation on my behalf, I'd like to emphasis!

b) The financial situation of Ambassadors International might be critical and they have much more short-term problems than they can handle, so at this time 2009 is as far away as the Mars from earth for them. Again, just pure speculation, but looking at the stock market, they definitely do have a problem there.