View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default "Miss Helen" Hughes Prater - A Birthday Milestone!

Just a note that on Monday, September 3rd, "Miss Helen" Hughes Prater will celebrate her 95th birthday! The daughter of Capt. Jesse P. & "Aunt Telia" Hughes and beloved by multitudes on the river, Miss Helen is, and always has been, an inspiration to us all. It has been my privilege to know her since I was a teenager and she has long been a bright light in my life. She has often been compared to the "Energizer Bunny"!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS HELEN! Many thanks for your love and friendship of over three decades -- and may you keep rolling along like the mighty river you love so much. A long and loud whistle salute to you!

In the first photo, Capt. Jesse is on watch in the pilothouse of the Greene Line steamer GREENDALE, with daughters Lillian (who long was the popular hostess on the GORDON C. GREENE until her untimely death in the late 1930's) and Helen. The second picture was taken by yours truly at the S&D meeting in 1977 and features Capt. Roddy Hammett, Capt. Lexie Palmore, Miss Helen and Ann Zeiger. I snapped the third photo of Miss Helen and daughter Lil Prater Smith aboard the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE as we were en route to Tall Stacks in October, 1992.
Attached Thumbnails
"Miss Helen" Hughes Prater - A Birthday Milestone!-hughes-greendale.jpg   "Miss Helen" Hughes Prater - A Birthday Milestone!-s-d-1977.jpg   "Miss Helen" Hughes Prater - A Birthday Milestone!-prater-ladies-belle-1992.jpg