View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Default SOLAS still an issue

Certainly, the SOLAS exemption will be an issue that needs to be addressed, but I don't think the Coast Guard was pleased with all the problems that it saw on the DQ in the last two weeks (or the quick-fix short-term solutions that were undertaken out of necessity), and I wouldn't be surprised if they, with the pressure they have to maintain vessel safety, decide to make a tough decision. I will try to investigate this further.
At the same time, I think we need to establish whether or not there really WAS any action (or inaction) in Congress on the exemption. I certainly can't find any evidence of that to this point, though I'll need to dig deeper. But, I can imagine that the SOLAS exemption expiration was a convenient time to call it quits on devoting more and more financial resources to maintaining an aging steamboat with serious or soon-to-be serious problems. The announcement seemed to come awfully quickly after this last spate of problems and after telling us that we need to appeal to our Congressmen.