View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky

The domed pilothouse was long gone, but the other structure atop the boat was intact to the end. They added some fake stacks near it to make it appear a pseudo pilothouse. For a short time the boat served as a restaurant at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, named REBEL QUEEN. I don't know about the eagle, but the whistle survived and was blown and recorded aboard the Str. JULIA BELLE SWAIN at La Crosse, Wisconsin, several years ago. The whistle is now on display at The Riverside Museum (608-782-1980) in La Crosse. Perhaps they would also know about the whereabouts of the eagle. You might also contact the office of the JULIA BELLE SWAIN (www.juliabelle.com) for information.

An excellent source of pictures of the MINNESOTA / GENERAL ALLEN is the Murphy Library at La Crosse, where over 50,000 steamboat images are on file and where prints can be purchased. The website address is www.uwlax.edu/murphylibrary/ which will take you to the section where the special collections are listed.

I saw the boat at St. Louis numerous times, but was never aboard it. For a time she was moored between the Eads and Veterans Bridges, but had been moved further down the levee below the south leg of the Gateway Arch at the time of the sinking. I recall seeing the remains of the hull being scooped out of the river by a big crane on a barge during the early summer of 1978.

We had a visitor at the Howard Steamboat Museum several years ago who showed us some color photographs of an excellent model he has built of the MINNESOTA.

A book, entitled A Passion for the River; Mayo and the Mississippi by Matthew D. Dacy, was published in 2004. There are some fine pictures of the boat in this limited edition publication, which is often available on EBAY and through book dealers.

Last edited by Keith Norrington; 05-23-2007 at 07:50 AM.