View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 PM

Default *QUEEN's fooling around/Docking fees*

Greetings, Steamboating colleagues:
Judy, I know you're right about the QUEEN's "fooling around" before docking at Robin Street wharf--although I never saw it myself down there. No doubt it was those ICC rules they had in mind. Jim Reising one who knows/remembers much of that having been a DELTA QUEEN Purser. And Jim heard/learned much from Chief Purser Bob McCann. Another 'official' Jim Reising and I remember was the ellusive 'Smoke abatement officer' who used to lurk watching the DQ and AVALON steaming in and out to check the smoke from their stacks. Even big, newer diesel tows navigating Cincinnati waters were watched for emissions. Those photos of the DQ belching out clouds of black smoke seldom seen other than for some PR photo opt--and Betty Blake even got flak on that herself.

I do know that the big 'blue water' babies docked in New York, Miami, New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, San Francisco, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Seattle etc. etc. fight the high docking fees, services, wages for the longshoremen. The money angle also came in even with the new Cincinnati Public Landing for the DQ, AQ, MQ and other passenger cruise boats now. The politicos wanted the glory and honor of the boats docked in Cincinnati and doing business, but also wanted to hit them with fees. Don Sanders, Bob Reynolds, Bill Judd, Jim Blum, Doc Hawley no doubt know lots more. There were [Are?] fresh water mains at/near the landing in Cincinnati for fresh water. I've seen big DEMPSTER DUMPERS down there for boat garbage and trash but no idea if Cincinnati offers this service or the boats are charged for it. Who knows?

Then the Cincinnati politicos got nasty over parking cars down there with road blocks, police and 'hire a cop' to thwart people and even passengers from getting down to the DELTA QUEEN in cars. Taxis even got the 3rd degree with tour buses loaded with passengers and their luggage being questioned. You had to have a boat cruise ticket or a parking pass or official reason like making a delivery or a service person called to work on something on a boat. Again, the Cincinnati Public Landing now but a ghost of its former self. Don Sanders and I loved the old landing and the surrounding neighborhood reminiscent of Charles Dickens or Stephen Foster. Capt. Doc Hawley called it "The finest sloped and paved wharf on any river in the United States." I'm glad I saw it, lived it, experienced it when I did. Now, I don't know what I've said in all the above other than, as usual, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
From the northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan - summer.