View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM

*RE: Wisconsin steamer/Saloon Etc.*
Hi, Joe. Likewise, I ran your photos through the wringer here today with 'steamboat forensics' to see the boat's name, location. Also went on line with "Crozier Bros. shoes, "1876, JImmy Fairs, Saloon Restaurant" with -O- ZILCH results. That doesn't mean this can't be narrowed down with more research. There are on FACEBOOK slews of other sites on boats, ships, regional museums etc. One I know of via Pete Sisak is on 'Great Lakes Ships' which could include a similar boat above. In ignorance I'd say she's a local steam excursion boat or one combined doing short haul passenger and freight work. If there's a rail station on the shore [Which I suspect there is] this boat, like others then, did links from rail up and down the lakes to summer colonies, small towns. Years ago a small packet line with a similar boat ran in service up and down our lake with passengers from the train, freight. Seasonal due to the cold, snow, ice in winter. The decks are open for sure with a forward open deck and a closed cabin possibly for passengers with curtains at the windows. Lots of steamers like that based in lake, bay or inlets up north at that time.

The port pictured no doubt on Lake Michigan either in Wisconsin or, as I first thought, in Michigan at Harbor Springs, Charlevoix not far from my own summer home. The buildings, towers in the rear vaguely familiar. [?] Definitely photo of a bay or inlet. Have you tried consulting any of the on-line historical societies in Wisconsin? 'Betcha' a cookie you'll get an answer or a link if not here then on a FACEBOOK web or internet search engine. This .org site always welcomes people to post even if the steamer above a screw jobbie. It's all steam. Good luck...keep us posted.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.