View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Default What To Do With All This Stuff?

It is obvious that many of us have vast collections of river stuff, be it photos, brochures, letters, etc., etc. As much as I hate to admit it some of us have more yesterdays than we have tomorrows. What can we do with all of this historical material we have. I know that my heirs have no interest the contents of my "dusty boxes". When I take that ferry boat across the big river in the sky, my kids might make an attempt to see if anyone wants it, but probably not a great attempt.
I know that I am fault for not labeling and marking what each piece is, unless whoever gets the stuff is a river buff no one will know the significance of the contents in my collection. I would hate to see it all lost, also I would hate to see it go to a place where it'll be placed in another box on a shelf accumulating more dust.
Should we, while we still can, decide on one place to donate our collections to. For me it would have to be a facility that will catalog the material and make it available for future researchers. Is there such a facility?