View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 AM

*RE: Keith's "Towboat Talk"*
Morning, Steamboating colleagues:
WOW! Keith really jolted me good with his great photos and "Towboat Talk" above. I well remember the VERITY, SEBALD, OMAR and others steaming up and down here by old Coal Haven Landing when I was a kid. Capt. Bill Judd also has vivid memories of them. I also remember hearing them at night down around Dayton Bar blowing those 'wildcat whistles' when needed. If they had to break a tow to navigate down through the Cincinnati bridges they laid in at the big concrete ice breakers at Coal Haven. And it seems to me the VERITY and SEBALD burned coal until the last. Anyway, thanks for the memories. Some years back on .org I penned a true account titled 'When a shantyboater shot a steamboat.' I was a kid then and my dad and I couldn't believe we saw it with our own eyes but we did.

Neal, I well remember that race you mention. It was on TV I recall seeing it in old Black/White. Good luck on finding a digital copy. That was a LONG time ago now and I remember all those clouds of rolling black steamboat smoke. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.