View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 05:43 PM

*RE: Capt. Hughes' Stetchbook*
Steamboating colleagues:
Jim, must again be 'telepathy' with you there in Florida, me here in Cincinnati as I was musing over the sketchbook the other day Capt. Jesse Hughes produced with his artistic skill. I Have a copy or two here in my library. I'll pull the book, try to make a good scan on my hp ENVY 5530 and send off to you via E=Mail. This 1951 publication was printed under the name 'The Picture Marine Publishing Co.' then a division of YOUNG & KLEIN here in Cincinnati who also produced a number of Capt. Fred Way's books. Friend Ben Klein produced Fred Way's 'Saga of the DELTA QUEEN' in 1951 among others. Not a clue now as to what the book price was then, but certainly not much. Measures 11 X 8 1/2 inches. Capt. Fred Way wrote the 'Forward.' Again, nobody has gotten rich lately off of steamboat books. Mark Twain may, but his books, sketches embroidered, drew out characters based in fact but amplified in fiction. My copy of the Jesse Hughes work in sprial plastic binder here personally dedicated/autographed by Capt. Jesse in 1954. So, give me time here and I'll get cracking.

R. Dale Flick
Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.