View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Capt. Hughes' Sketchbook

I need your help again, does anyone have a copy of "Capt. Hughes' Sketchbook", a book published years ago of Jesse Hughes paintings and drawings? If so I need someone to scan one drawing and email it to me. It's the sketch showing low water on the Ohio. As I remember it it shows the CRICKET having to stop in the middle of the river while a farmer in a horse drawn wagon crosses the river in front of the boat. That picture illustrates low water. I want to use it in the DVD I'm doing for the Howard Museum. Loretta Howard was very involved in the Ohio Valley Improvement Association, a lobby group that lobbied congress for funds to build the Ohio River locks and dams. Very few people today know that in times of drought the river would practically dry up and all navigation would come to a complete halt, because of the efforts of the OVIA and active members such as Mrs. Howard that we got year around 9 ft.channel.
If you can think of or have any other pictures that illustrate what I'm trying to show they would be greatly appreciated................Also I need a good picture of a wicket dam and lock.
Thanks