View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM

That's quite simple, Bob. French America Line, the operators of the LOUISIANE, made a promise to me that they would provide a luxury cruise at an agreed upon price. They collected my money and held it for a number of months. Now less than three weeks away from sailing they say they can't provide the cruise. During that time they earned interest on my money. I should receive some sort of compensation alone for that. If I cancelled at the current time for any reason whatsoever, including an event totally out of my hands, I would have lost the entire cruise fare which, I might add, is quite considerable. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander!

I fully understand that giving another cruise is probably out of the question with FAL, although the passengers that did not cancel their reservations on the AMERICAN QUEEN in 1996 when she was forced to remain at the Cincinnati Public Landing due to an Act of God were also given a free trip at a later time. FAL's failure to provide the cruise is not due to an Act of God!

A letter via U.S. mail, and not just an e-mail to my travel agent, from Chris Kyte or some other FAL honcho would be nice with a sincere apology and a $100.00 future cruise credit. I wouldn't use it, but it would go a long way to soften my feelings towards FAL. I was so greatly looking forward to this cruise. The LOUISIANE was to head up the Red River to Shreveport, Natchitoches, and Alexandria. These are all places where I have never been, so now I hope the DELTA QUEEN returns to the Red River sometime in the future.

For the company to give a one category upgrade and a $100.00 onboard credit to those souls whom decide to allow FAL to keep the fare paid and rebook is quite paltry. I doubt many will take them up on the offer. FAL's promise of more cruises to come should be weighed against what the company has promised to deliver and hasn't thus far.

One promise that was made in the very first printing of FAL's first brochure and on their website is their, "Integrity Pricing Policy" which clearly states that, "Our fares remain the same from the moment they are created until the moment the vessel sails." Despite that fact, after I had booked, FAL offered promotions to future customers such as free gratuities, $100.00 onboard credits, and a one category stateroom upgrade when, I imagine, it appeared bookings were soft. (Which in certain cases could be as high as $1600.00 per stateroom.) If I had cancelled at that time, FAL would have assessed me a $600.00 cancellation fee. So now they just cancelled my trip and say we'll give your money back. Which, by the way, when I called their office yesterday the reservationist said she has no idea when the refund will be made. Do you still think that it's fair. I don't!