View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 04:13 AM

Location: Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"

Alan,
"Colombia" rings a bell in my memory, but when my hard drive crashed, I lost most of my notes on CA steamboats. I did a talk called "History Lost -- The Steamboats' role in Developing Northern California." Because, as Dale mentions, there isn't much "romance" out here about steamboats, although they were a major factor in the Gold Rush and the development of California until about 1890, and still going to 1932s when a major fire destroyed most of the larger boats. In very recent years there has been a small resurgence of interest in the boats of California.
I was looking around for a small book I have on California Steamboats, but I can't find it--it was a small printing, and isn't common--and I can't think of the title! However, you might look for "Pacific Steamboats" by Newell & Williamson. If I find that book of mine in the next few days, I'll let you know.
Steamcerely,
David Dewey
PS there is a neat novel "Winds of Promise" by Bodie & Brock Throne based on the cruise and times of the steamer, "New World" which had a very interesting life coming to California.